1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many terms of this sum suffice for two-decimal place accuracy? -Solution included

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem along with its detailed solution are attached.

2. Relevant equations
    Inequality, infinite summation and improper integral.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm following the solution but I can't justify the first (and only) less-than-or-equal sign. Why is that sum less-than-or-equal to that integral?

Also, to be picky, when they say two-decimal place accuracy, shouldn't that mean error <= 5/10^3 instead of error < 5/10^3? Whether I am right or wrong, please tell me why.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• P9.jpg
      P9.jpg
      File size:
      14.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: How many terms of this sum suffice for two-decimal place accuracy? -Solution incl

The sum is a lower Riemann sum for the area represented by the integral. Draw a picture that shows why. The picky bit is just to guarantee you don't get an answer like 0.025 and round off the wrong way. It's much less important than the first point.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook