What Causes Sneeze Multiplicity?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, some people find sneezing to be a pleasurable experience, while others find it to be annoying. For some, sneezing is a sign of good health, while for others it is a sign of sickness. People can control how often they sneeze, and some people sneeze loudly.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Some people, it's just once and done. Others - poor souls, they just go on and on.

Me: twice usually. Sometimes 3 or 4 times but that's rare.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just once for me, typically. I seem to be a very efficient sneezer. :smile:

I know others who, once they start, often go into double digits.

Almost always once. I have a coworker who sneezes almost always exactly three times.

Once for me.

Usually two, three in extreme cases.

I hate sneezing.

I usually sneeze once, a big one.

My wife usually does five little sneezes one after the other. When she occasionally stops at four, I look over at her as if to ask "well?..."

Likes gracy
1MileCrash said:
Usually two, three in extreme cases.

I hate sneezing.

Whaaaaa :eek:? How can you hate sneezing, it's awesome!

lisab said:

Btw, even though I'm a happy sneezer :biggrin:, I do refrain from adding verbal embellishments. Some people, my god,
aaaddcccchhhhooooooooeeeeee!

We have a few of these at work. I know their seasonal allergy patterns.

My ex husband used to scream when he sneezed, it was quite unnerving.

Evo said:

While dating someone, learning how they sneeze is kind of a weird milestone.

lisab said:
While dating someone, learning how they sneeze is kind of a weird milestone.
If only I had known... This is why I think people should live together for at least a year before getting married.

lisab said:

Because it interrupts whatever I'm doing.

If I sneezed while trying to disarm some kind of explosive, assuming I knew how to disarm explosives, boom.

The way the body responds, it's as if a tickle in the nasal passages was the most important biological event that could occur.

First motion picture to be copyrighted in US
FRED OTT'S SNEEZE
Hapci-fr.gif

Directed by William K.L. Dickson
Produced by William K.L. Dickson
Starring Fred Ott
Distributed by Edison Manufacturing Company
Release dates
January 9, 1894
Running time 5 seconds
Country United States
Language Silent

I usually sneeze anywhere between 5 and 12 times. Pretty rare to sneeze any fewer times than that.

Once. Sometimes twice.

1MileCrash said:
The way the body responds, it's as if a tickle in the nasal passages was the most important biological event that could occur.

Because it is. You don't know if that tickle is a spider climbing its way to your brain.

Office_Shredder said:
You don't know if that tickle is a spider climbing its way to your brain.

That's one sneeze I wouldn't want to have, as otherwise I wouldn't be able to have this one:

tumblr_static_spiderman-_sneezing_web.gif

Last edited:
lisab said:
Btw, even though I'm a happy sneezer :biggrin:, I do refrain from adding verbal embellishments. Some people, my god,
aaaddcccchhhhooooooooeeeeee!

Something like this?
963879_supersneeze.jpg

Once or twice, about 50/50. I tend to be very loud, but the dogs have gotten used to me.

My sneeze count has increased as a function of age. Seems to be nonlinear with my present count at 7.

Evo said:
My H.S. Physics teacher sneezed with three syllables; like at-choo-innnnnnng with the third syllable drawn out and two octaves higher in pitch than the first two. And he did it often.

I hate it when people put voice into their sneeze and it scares me.

But I sneeze until the tickle in my nose is gone. I think that's pretty randomly determined, so I don't have a set number of sneezes in a sequence.

turbo said:
Once or twice, about 50/50. I tend to be very loud, but the dogs have gotten used to me.

It can be startling...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAcdvmnZ_GM

An oldie but goodie.

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
Some people, it's just once and done. Others - poor souls, they just go on and on.

Me: twice usually. Sometimes 3 or 4 times but that's rare.

Usually twice, but I like sneezing!

Always three times, I try to stop at two but the third always comes. But you know what they say, sneeze three times and the weather is going to be good :biggrin:

leroyjenkens said:
I hate it when people put voice into their sneeze and it scares me.
I hate this too. It's like they're barking. It's rude.

zoobyshoe said:
I hate this too. It's like they're barking. It's rude.

I think a lot of people don't realize they can turn it off.

Bright lights and sneezing correlation, plus other sneezing "facts":

"The photic sneeze reflex is also called ACHOO (autosomal dominant compelling helio-ophthalmic outburst) syndrome [Collie et al. 1978]."​

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/714420_6

collinsmark said:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/714420_6

Requires login. Perhaps a free one, but still.

Simple way to avoid annoying log-ins:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aRnUo1b_l7MJ:www.medscape.com/viewarticle/714420_6+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in

Last edited by a moderator:

What Causes Sneeze Multiplicity?

Sneeze multiplicity, or multiple sneezes in succession, is a common phenomenon that can be caused by various factors. Here are the top 5 frequently asked questions about what causes sneeze multiplicity:

1. Is sneeze multiplicity genetic?

There is no evidence to suggest that sneeze multiplicity is genetic. It is believed to be a reflex response triggered by irritants in the nasal passages.

2. Can allergies cause sneeze multiplicity?

Yes, allergies can be a common cause of sneeze multiplicity. When the body is exposed to an allergen, it produces histamines which can irritate the nasal passages and trigger multiple sneezes.

3. Is sneeze multiplicity a sign of a cold or flu?

Sneeze multiplicity can be a symptom of a cold or flu, as these illnesses can cause inflammation and irritation in the nasal passages. However, it is not a definitive sign and can also be caused by other factors.

4. Why do some people sneeze multiple times in a row?

The number of sneezes a person experiences in a row can vary depending on individual factors. Some people may have a more sensitive nasal reflex, while others may have a stronger immune response to irritants.

5. Can sneeze multiplicity be prevented?

There is no surefire way to prevent sneeze multiplicity, as it is a natural reflex. However, avoiding known allergens and maintaining good overall health can help reduce the frequency of sneezing.