How many times in a week do you shower?

This thread is a joke.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
How come everything is an argument with you?

Your original respose was droll. A subtle yet witty responce pointing out the irony of me accusing you of not getting the joke only for me to do the same thing a few posts later. I laughed, as I enjoy irony. It was a compliment.

This second response has ruined the subtle humour of the previous comment you made, and now simply makes you look entirely humourless. It infact makes you look like a smug bastard, as though you've won a cheap little victory which you are now getting jollies over.

Well done Captain Buzzkill.

Quite how you got the humour award i'll never know. This is the equivilant of telling an amazing joke, then tryign to follow it up and murdering all the laughter.
I sense that see post #90 isn't going to work this time...*

We are both suffering the same thing: not being able to see the wry smile on each others' face. Droll is usually a put-down. But I wasn't actually accusing you of commenting in bad faith; I found that awesome Cracked list yesterday and was just dying to use it. Luck was on my side.

Subtle humour is an unforgiving mistress. Sometimes it turns on you.

(Also, I greatly underuse emoticons, contributing to the ambiguity of my tone.)

*:wink:

...oops.

Now I feel bad, and slightly silly.:redface:

EDIT: There should be a rollback function in spacetime, for collossal miscomprehension events like post 99.

Last edited:
Mentallic
Homework Helper
There should be a rollback function in spacetime, for collossal miscomprehension events like post 99.
If Einstein hadn't had the nerve to die on us, I'm sure he would've told us how to do it :biggrin:

as a reminder: after making a joke which could be misinterpreted by another reader, make sure to avoid this by adding "jk, don't get your panties tied in a knot" EVERY time. This shall become protocol.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
as a reminder: after making a joke which could be misinterpreted by another reader, make sure to avoid this by adding "jk, don't get your panties tied in a knot" EVERY time. This shall become protocol.
If only there were already some sort of method for letting people know the emotional tone of a post... Maybe just an icon. Some sort of emotion-icon. Some sort of ... I don't know... emoticon ...

I believe this thread should be submitted to the fail-blog... for so many pathetic jokes and amateur use of ironies. A good joke wouldn't require some kind of indication.

I come back a couple of days later and this thread is still going? PFers like to argue over everything.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
A good joke wouldn't require some kind of indication.
I'd like to think so, but (with 45 years of glory-hounding for attention) I can tell you that off-the-cuff humour is extremely dependent on context of the parties involved.

rootX said:
I believe this thread should be submitted to the fail-blog... for so many pathetic jokes and amateur use of ironies. A good joke wouldn't require some kind of indication.
I'd like to think so, but (with 45 years of glory-hounding for attention) I can tell you that off-the-cuff humour is extremely dependent on context of the parties involved.
Also a lot of extremely funny things are purely down to delivery and timing, something which is lost on forums.

If only there were already some sort of method for letting people know the emotional tone of a post... Maybe just an icon. Some sort of emotion-icon. Some sort of ... I don't know... emoticon ...
You're forever in trouble over those, aren't you? :wink:

Also a lot of extremely funny things are purely down to delivery and timing, something which is lost on forums.
So, so, so, so many of the visual and auditory cues we depend upon for clear comprehension in communication are missing online. This is a really, really tough means of casual conversation. Particularly getting acknowledgment from people so you aren't talking past each other. Humour, especially dry, deadpan humour and sarcasm are really tough to convey properly too.

It's very challenging.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
You're forever in trouble over those, aren't you? :wink:
I am. It is definitely my own fault. My sense of (online) humour tends strongly toward the deadpan. I hate having to beat my audience with an emoticon club.

I am. It is definitely my own fault. My sense of (online) humour tends strongly toward the deadpan. I hate having to beat my audience with an emoticon club.
I list towards sarcasm but try not to online unless a) the person I'm directing pixels at knows me well enough to know I'm joking, or b) I decide to give in to the FTHFs* to make myself clear.

*FTHF coined by my ex when we first began participating in various online gaming sites and discussion boards. [Back in the days before they'd invented the little round yellow emoticons.] He called them "f*****g tilted happy faces" because they annoyed him so much that everyone used them constantly, and because it further teed him off that people didn't "get" his sense of humour in the absence of them. :)

i think the getting of a joke is also highly correlated with one's bathing frequency, which ties it back directly to the subject at hand.

Mentallic
Homework Helper
i think the getting of a joke is also highly correlated with one's bathing frequency
That's so true! It's no wonder I get all the dirty jokes :wink:

Oops... I've done it again...