How many triangles can you form with 21 evenly distributed dots?

• Thread starter davee123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangles
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of a triangle question on Facebook and the number of distinct triangles that can be formed by connecting 21 evenly distributed dots in an equilateral triangular pattern. The conversation also delves into the possibility of creating a formula for the number of triangles with increasing numbers of dots and the existence of degenerate triangles. The final consensus is that the formula for the number of general triangles is 21*20*19/6 - 114 = 1216.
davee123
So, being inundated with the "How many triangles?" questions on Facebook, I noticed this one which is actually more difficult than I expect the question author intended:
http://creative.ak.facebook.com/ads3/flyers/36/28/6002237517496_1_992e4bd8.jpg
Assuming you have 21 dots evenly distributed in an equilateral triangular pattern (like bowling pins), how many distinct triangles can be formed by connecting the dots?

Of course, I'll bet they expect people to interpret "equilateral triangles" rather than simply "triangles", but it does make for a more interesting challenge.

And on that note, how many are possible with 3 dots, 6 dots, 10 dots, and 15 dots? Is there a nice formula for progression as the number of available dots increases?

DaveE

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the "starting triangle's base" has N dots, then the number of equilateral triangles is
(N-1)*N*(N+1)*(N+2)/24
which means
equilateral triangles in the figure.

:smile:

davee123 said:
Of course, I'll bet they expect people to interpret "equilateral triangles" rather than simply "triangles", but it does make for a more interesting challenge.
Which way do you want us to interpret it: only equilaterals or all triangles?

I suppose both questions are interesting-- answer what you will, I guess! But I couldn't think of a formula that expressed the number of "triangles" given N dots. I honestly never even tried to answer the equilateral triangle question, since it seemed more trivial. But there are some interesting caveats to it.

DaveE

I get a different answer from rogerio for equilateral triangles. Maybe I am overlooking some triangles somewhere...

For N even:
n(2n^2-n-2)/8 = 48 triangles for n=6 base dots
For N odd:
(n-1)(n+1)(2n-1)/8 triangles.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
I get a different answer from rogerio for equilateral triangles. Maybe I am overlooking some triangles somewhere...

I got the same answer as Rogerio for the equilateral triangles-- there are some non-standard orientations, don't forget!

DaveE

davee123 said:
I got the same answer as Rogerio for the equilateral triangles-- there are some non-standard orientations, don't forget!

DaveE
Oops, yes! I was missing those.

I'm assuming your formulae simply count all possible 3-dot combinations and assumes a triangle joins them. Is that correct?

Do these formula eliminate "degenerate shapes"? i.e. three dots in a straight line does not a triangle make, so some combos of 3 dots are not valid.

Oh, I see you guys are pursing only equilateral triangles so far, so my point is moot.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
I see you guys are pursing only equilateral triangles so far, so my point is moot.

Well, moot in terms of equilateral triangles, but not all triangles, which is what I was more interested in. Figuring out all the sets of 3 points is pretty simple, but figuring out which sets of 3 are in straight lines was tougher-- at least in terms of trying to get a formula.

DaveE

davee123 said:
Well, moot in terms of equilateral triangles, but not all triangles, which is what I was more interested in. Figuring out all the sets of 3 points is pretty simple, but figuring out which sets of 3 are in straight lines was tougher-- at least in terms of trying to get a formula.

DaveE
I suppose it would be easier to write an algorithm (where you have access to loops and decision trees) than a formula. I wonder if all algorithms are transposable into formulae...

davee123 said:
Figuring out all the sets of 3 points is pretty simple, but figuring out which sets of 3 are in straight lines was tougher-- at least in terms of trying to get a formula.

Agreed.

I got 114 degenerated triangles (3 points in line).
So the number of general triangles in the figure is
21*20*19/6 - 114 = 1216.

But it was a very ugly way...

Yep, that matches what I got, although I just did 21 choose 3 - 114. Same difference, though.

DaveE

General formula for the 114? Now that should be fun!

1. How many triangles can be formed using 6 lines?

It is not possible to determine the exact number of triangles that can be formed using 6 lines without knowing the specific arrangement and intersections of the lines.

2. Is there a formula for finding the number of triangles in a polygon?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the number of triangles in a polygon. It is n-2, where n represents the number of sides of the polygon.

3. How many triangles are there in a pyramid?

The number of triangles in a pyramid depends on the type of pyramid. For a regular pyramid, there are four triangles (one base triangle and three lateral triangles). For an irregular pyramid, the number of triangles can vary.

4. How many triangles are in a hexagon?

A hexagon has 6 sides, so according to the formula n-2, there are 4 triangles in a hexagon.

5. Can you have a triangle with 3 right angles?

No, it is not possible to have a triangle with 3 right angles. The sum of the interior angles of a triangle is always 180 degrees, so having 3 right angles (which are each 90 degrees) would result in a total of 270 degrees, which is not possible.