1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many vectors in span({v})

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let v be an element of F2p \ {(0,0)}. How many vectors does Span({v}) have? How many 1-dimensional vector subspaces does F2p have?

F2p is the two-dimensional field (a,b) where each a, b are elements of Fp, where p is a prime number.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the total number of elements in the vector space F2p \ {(0,0)} is p2 - 1. I also thought that this was the number of vectors in Span({v}) but I've told by a couple people that is not so. I started with the definition of span but I just couldn't see the rest unfold.

Thank you ahead of time for your help.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An element in span(v) must be of the form av for some a in the field. How many choices of a do you have? Do all of these choices yield a different vector, or can av=bv if a=/=b?

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take an example. Let F=Z_3, the field with three elements {0,1,2}. Yes, there are 8 elements in (Z_3)^2-{0,0}. How many elements are in span((1,1))? That's (1,1)*x for all x in Z_3. Does that help you to see things unfold?

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4
    Would (1,1)*x have 3 elements? (1,1,0), (1,1,1), (1,1,2)? Or am I reading this incorrectly?

6. Sep 16, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, yeah. Would have three elements. But they would be (0,0)=(1,1)*0, (1,1)=(1,1)*1 and (2,2)=(1,1)*2.

7. Sep 16, 2009 #6
    Okay now I see what you meant sorry about that.

8. Sep 16, 2009 #7
    "a" I believe can be any number in F.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?