Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many will lie dead when it is over?

1. 0

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. 1-5

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. 5-10

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. 10-20

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. 20-40

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. 40-80

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 80-160

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 160-500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. over 500

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  10. over 1000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Apr 28, 2004 #1
    How many protestors will lose their lives while protesting the RNC convention in NYC this summer?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2004 #2
    1-5 when they start rioting.

4. Apr 29, 2004 #3
    Our conventions, both democrat and republican are used to elect our presidents. This is how our republic functions. To purposely disrupt this process, is treason.

Anyone foolish enough to try this will hurt their own party greatly, and lose a lot of power in the coming decades. The American people will not be tolerant of this at all. Dumb mistake, and I hope the radicals are stupid enough to make it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  5. Apr 29, 2004 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The party conventions are not part of the government, and parties are not defined in the constitution. Treason, however, is:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. - Article III, Section 3.

6. Apr 29, 2004 #5
    Every one should read this definition. Many are currently over the line.

7. Apr 29, 2004 #6
    Many? Who are they?

8. Apr 29, 2004 #7
    Start with the world trade center bombers, the "American taliban", the sleeper cell in western New York, the "charitable" organizations, Padilla...

MANY in prison already, more expected.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2004
  9. Apr 29, 2004 #8
    Just wondering who you think are traitors. You did not say.

Who are the "American Taliban"? Which charity organisations do you consider traitors?

10. Apr 29, 2004 #9
    American Taliban = Johnny Taliban = John Walker Lindh = should have renounced his US citizenship, but didn't, so he got off lightly by not being executed.

Charitable organizations include the many that have been shutdown domestically, but let's put some name recognition. Hamas considers itself a charitable organization. Hamas has also called for attacks on Israeli and American civilians.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  11. Apr 30, 2004 #10
    You don't seem to be up to date on these news items. I guess you don't get as much information in Australia as we get here in the states. Pity.

12. Apr 30, 2004 #11
    "So he should got off lightly." I'm not precisely certain what this mutilation of English means.

Okay, it seems you are referring to an individual. I had thought you were referring to some organisation.

Organisations have been shut down. What is it about this that you object to? Are you only referring to groups such as Hamas? If so, how are they traitors, as asserted?

Hamas considers itself a militant organisation, which began otherwise. Again, how does the word "traitor" factor into it?

13. Apr 30, 2004 #12
    Rather than make assumptions, try answering the questions. Which groups and organisations do you consider traitors?

14. Apr 30, 2004 #13

No, I'm not just referring to Hamas, and I was simply lending some name recognition to someone that has received support in the past from groups of our population, and now calls for the same people's death.

15. Apr 30, 2004 #14
    Traitors were mentioned. I'm still waiting for anyone to tell me who these alleged traitors are.

16. Apr 30, 2004 #15

LURCH

Science Advisor

1-5, not nearly as many as will "take up arms against the United States government", (when they start rioting).

17. Apr 30, 2004 #16

Njorl

Science Advisor

My guess is either 0 or 1-5 will die of natural causes in large but uneventful protests.

It isn't 1968, Bloomberg isn't Daly, Iraq is not Vietnam and the leaders of the disenfranchised have not been recently assassinated.

Njorl

18. Apr 30, 2004 #17
    Still waiting for the justification of the use of "traitors".

19. Apr 30, 2004 #18

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not so sure. Hippies have been on the rise again. I know its a couple of years since Seattle, but those same WTO rioters will surely be at the RNC.

20. Apr 30, 2004 #19

Njorl

Science Advisor

I think you could make a good case against Padilla. Of course, you'd have to charge him first.

The foolish kids from Buffalo almost certainly did not commit treason.

Even Lindh (sp?) did not take up arms against the US as far as I can tell.

I believe he went to Afghanistan before 9/11. He was fighting against the Northern Alliance, not the US, as far as I know.

Njorl

21. May 1, 2004 #20
    That would be none, right? Or are you saying that protestors are traitors by default?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?