Making a pH 7 Liquid: A Simple Guide

• Thread starter perd1t1on
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Liquid Ph
In summary, the pH system is a logarithmic unit and a pH of 3 has 10^5 more H+ ions than a pH of 8. Therefore, a simple algebraic approach will not work for determining the ratio of acid and base needed to make a pH 7 liquid. Instead, the H+ concentration and total volume must be taken into account.
perd1t1on
Hello. This is probably a really dumb question, but I was wondering how the ph system works in relation to making a ph 7 liquid (which would be water and salt, right?)

The way I was thinking was if you have an acid with a ph3 and a base with a ph8, and you wanted to mix them to produce a ph7 liquid, you would have to do it proportionally:

7*2 = 14 = 8x + 3y = 8(1) + 3(2)
x = 1, y = 2
1 part base, 2 parts acid.

If this is not how it's done, is there a simple way to do it (aka given you have the ph of both the acid and base, what is the ratio to make a ph7 liquid?). This is not a homework question and I'm not a chemist.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

As far as I know pH is a logarithmic unit, so a pH of 3 has 105 more H+ ions than a pH of 8. If I'm correct then your simple algebra wouldn't work. It would work if you do it directly with the H+ concentration instead of pH, and also taking in account for the total volume.

Last edited:

1. How can I make a pH 7 liquid at home?

To make a pH 7 liquid at home, you will need to mix equal parts of an acid and a base. For example, you can mix lemon juice (acid) and baking soda (base) in equal amounts to create a pH 7 liquid.

2. Can I use any acid and base to make a pH 7 liquid?

Yes, you can use any acid and base as long as they are of equal strength. This means that the concentration of the acid and base should be the same in order to create a neutral pH 7 liquid.

3. Why is it important to maintain a pH 7 in a liquid?

pH 7 is considered neutral and is the ideal pH level for most liquids. Maintaining a pH 7 helps to ensure that the liquid is neither too acidic nor too basic, which can affect its taste, texture, and overall quality.

4. What are the common uses of a pH 7 liquid?

A pH 7 liquid is commonly used in various scientific experiments and processes, as well as in everyday household tasks such as cleaning and cooking. It is also used in the production of certain food and beverage products.

5. Can I adjust the pH of a liquid after it has been made?

Yes, you can adjust the pH of a liquid by adding either an acid or a base in small increments until the desired pH level is reached. It is important to mix the liquid well after each addition and to use caution as adding too much acid or base can drastically change the pH level.