Determining Acid Concentration: A Guide for Chemistry Students

• Thread starter saranghae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, to find the concentration of hydrochloric acid, you can use the neutralization reaction and the number of moles of sodium hydroxide present. From there, you can calculate the volume of hydrochloric acid needed by converting the mass percentage to molar concentration. This can also be applied to determine the mass of solid NaOH needed for a certain concentration. To calculate the percentage from density, you can use the mass/mass percentage formula and convert the units to get the desired concentration.
saranghae
Hi, I got this question for my chemistry class, and I simply don't know where to start. Do I have to find out the volume of HCl first?

The label on a bottle of hydrochloric acid says the solution is 3.7% hydrogen chloride. You wish to the determine the actual concentration. You fill a burette with the acid, but before you do the titration, you would like to know how much acid you need to add to the 10 mL of 1.0 mol/L sodium hydroxide to turn the blue bromthymol blue solution green. You can assume the density of the dilute acid is essentially that of water. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
While neutralizing a Sodium Hydroxide solution with HCl the following reaction occurs,
NaOH + HCl --> NaCl + H2O,
For every 1 moles of NaOH present in solution, 1 mole of HCl is required to neutralize it and produce 1 mole of NaCl and H2O.

First, I would find the number of moles of NaOH in 10 mL of a 1 Molar (mol/L) solution, this would also be the same number of moles of HCl needed to neutralize it.
Now that you know the number of moles of HCl required, now you must calculate the volume of HCl solution needed. Your acid solution's concentration is given as a % mass of HCl (the rest being water), I think it would be easier to deal with this as a Molar concentration.

To convert x % mass to Molar, assume you have 100 grams of the solution, which means you x grams of HCl, which we know is (x / molar weight of HCl) number of moles. That number of moles is dissolved in the remaining weight of water (100 - x) grams. If we assume the density of this acid is 1 g/mL, then we can easily get the volume of the solvent. Once you have both these number, calculate the Molar concentration.

Back to the problem at hand. Now that you know the molar concentration of the acid (moles / Liter) and you know the number of moles you need, now it just is a matter of solving for the volume.
(Molar concentration = moles / volume) --> (Molar concentration * volume = moles)

Thank you so much!
When you say molar weight of HCl, do you mean 36.5 g/mol?

yes,
(1.01 g/mol of H) + (35.45 g/mol Cl) = 36.46 g/mol HCl

Hi all,
I want to ask you about some problem (help my friend):
I have:
1)12M HCl, MG: 36,46g, Density:1,16g/cm3 (37% HCl=12M)

I have already calculation: 12M of HCl=12mol/lx 36,46g/mol=437,52g/l.

So, How much (ml) of 37% must need to prepare a 12M HCl solution? (How to calculate?)

1)6NaOH, MG: 40g, Density:1,353g/cm3 (19,62% HCl=12M)

I have already calculation: 6M of NaOH=6mol/lx 40g/mol=240g/l.

So, how much (g) solid NaOH nee prepare for 6M NaOH?

And one the question: How can calculation % (37%and 19,62%) from density? I have this result from my friend.

Many thanks

Please help me as soon as.

nguyenh said:
Hi all,
I want to ask you about some problem (help my friend):
I have:
1)12M HCl, MG: 36,46g, Density:1,16g/cm3 (37% HCl=12M)

1)6NaOH, MG: 40g, Density:1,353g/cm3 (19,62% HCl=12M)

So, how much (g) solid NaOH nee prepare for 6M NaOH?

And one the question: How can calculation % (37%and 19,62%) from density?

you know that the % is a m/m % ? --> for 1) 37 % HCl = 37 g HCl / 100 g solution

now we need to go from the unit g HCl/g to mol/L. You can convert g HCl to mol HCl with [tex]M_{W}[/tex] and g solution can be converted to L solution using the density.

So for the first one: 37% HCl = [tex]\frac {(37/36.46)} {(100/1.16) \cdot 10^{-3}} = 12 M[/tex]

Now you can apply the same kind of calcualtion to get to know the mass of NaOH needed to prepare a 6 M NaOH solution with a volume for example 100 mL

Last edited:

1. How do I determine the amount of acid needed for a reaction?

The amount of acid needed for a reaction depends on several factors, such as the type of acid, the type and amount of reactants, and the desired outcome of the reaction. It is important to consult a chemical reference or a qualified scientist for accurate calculations.

2. Can I use any type of acid for my experiment?

No, not all acids are suitable for all types of experiments. Some acids may be too strong or too weak for the reaction you are trying to achieve. It is important to research and select the appropriate acid for your experiment.

3. How can I safely handle and measure the acid?

Acids can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling acid. Use a graduated cylinder or pipette to accurately measure the amount of acid needed for your experiment.

4. Is it possible to use too much acid in a reaction?

Yes, using too much acid can be dangerous and may result in an uncontrollable reaction. It is important to carefully measure and use the recommended amount of acid for your experiment to ensure safety and accurate results.

5. How can I dispose of excess acid after my experiment?

Proper disposal of excess acid is crucial for safety and environmental reasons. Dilute the acid with a large amount of water and neutralize it with a base, such as baking soda, before disposing of it according to local regulations. Never pour excess acid down the drain.