Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much are you in debt ?

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1
    How much are you in debt ? I'm talking about credit card,students loans etc.
    I have 0 debt, from every paycheck I try to save at least 2/3.Whenever I buy plane ticket using credit card I pay at once full amount back.
    How about you people ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2
    Currently 0.

4. Mar 6, 2005 #3
    $2250 in student loans.

5. Mar 6, 2005 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

About £10,000 (GBP), probably around 15k by the time I finish. What's that, about USD 25,000?

6. Mar 6, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, there's the mortgage on the house and about a year's worth of car payments (I'm not disclosing the amounts). Until I bought my car and house, I had no debts, and I continue to avoid having any debt aside from those.

7. Mar 6, 2005 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have car debts ner ner ne nerr nerr!

8. Mar 6, 2005 #7

I have a credit card, but i avoid using it as much as possible, and always pay it off immediately. Basically i only use it when i have to order something online, that i already have the cash for anyway. Not worth building up debt early in life.

9. Mar 6, 2005 #8
    Maybe $150K. I'm working to get it up over $1 million though. :biggrin:

10. Mar 6, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I learned early on that you should use your credit card instead of cash as often as is possible -- as long as you pay off the bills right away. It helps you build up a good credit rating, so when you do need to get a loan for something big, like a car and house, you have a good credit history established. I've known people who always paid everything in cash and then wound up needing a co-signer to buy a house, not because they couldn't afford it or weren't responsible borrowers, but because they had no credit history. I know it sounds crazy, but that's the way lenders think. :rolleyes:

11. Mar 6, 2005 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's so true.

12. Mar 6, 2005 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Deleted.

I deleted it.

13. Mar 6, 2005 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With credit cards, you also get a lot more buyer protection too (if a supplier goes bankrupt, for example, the card company will refund your purchase because they're nice like that). Set up a direct debit, and it's just like using your debit card!

14. Mar 6, 2005 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I have a nasty habit of holding a little credit card debt - but not too much, just $1000 or so. Other than that, just my car (8 months into a 5 year loan). But I'm hoping to go another $150-$200k into debt within the next year. :wink:

15. Mar 6, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let me guess, cameras and telescope type equipment? :biggrin:

Ah, the joys of buying a house! I remember that slightly panicky feeling the night before closing on the house, thinking what on earth am I doing getting myself into that kind of debt when I had never been in debt my whole life! But, it still beats living in an apartment.

16. Mar 6, 2005 #15
    15,000 student loans.
    1,000 credit card debt (I revolve this. It never goes higher than this number, or I just pay it down, so 1000 I say)
    12,000 car loan
    ------------------

Wooh, another couple of years and I can figure out how to finance med school on top of all this too, wooh!

17. Mar 6, 2005 #16

What is the deal here in America with buying a house,seams like everyone must own a house even if person gets into financial black hole for the rest of their life, and if you loose your job you are screwed.
    In Europe lots of people just live comfortably whole life in rented aprtments and no one is complaining.

18. Mar 6, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're not in a financial black hole for the rest of your life, just 30 years. :biggrin: If you lose your job, you still have the house to sell, which is better than if you are renting. Houses are good investments, because they usually appreciate in value, so instead of just paying rent and never owning anything, you buy a house and gain equity. Now, it doesn't make sense to buy a house that would require mortgage payments that are higher than you can afford, but I have a 4 bedroom house with a mortgage payment (principle + interest) that's actually a little less than what I was paying in rent for a 2 bedroom apartment, and in just three years, my house has increased in value by about 20% (and I'm in a neighborhood where houses are more stable in value than other areas where homes have doubled in value in the past few years).

19. Mar 6, 2005 #18

That is actually the only reason i have the card at all. But i still stick to internet purchases with it. Although, its not like i spend much money anyway. Well...not directly at least.

20. Mar 6, 2005 #19

House payments are not usually drastically higher than rent payments(the difference you don't typically have roommates splitting a house payment). At least, not in what i've seen. When we rented out our house, we basically rented at what the mortgage payments were (a little higher actually, since property values had gone up in the six years since we bought it). So if you lose your job, you would be equally screwed either way. Well, actually no, you'd be less screwed owning the house, since presumably, if you'd been paying on it for a while, it would be worth more than you owed, so you would profit if you had to sell. Renting, you'd just lose the apartment and have nothing to show for it.

21. Mar 6, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All true. Plus, once you buy your house, your payments remain the same for the rest of your mortgage term (assuming you get a fixed rate mortgage). You can also refinance if interest rates go down to lower your payments. That means that when property values keep going up and rent keeps going up every year, your mortgage remains the same, so over your lifetime, you pay far less than if you're dumping that money into ever increasing rent. (Yes, taxes and insurance rates continue to go up, but you're paying for them in your rent too; if the taxes go up, you can bet your landlord will raise rent when it's time to renew your lease).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?