1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much calculus is in 1st semester physics?

1. Aug 18, 2003 #1
    im currently taking 1st semester physics, were using the Serway "Physics for scientists and engineers" book, and were going through chapter 22 which is thermodynamics... what elements of physics do i need to be familiar with? Will it be used alot or not really until E&M?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2003 #2

Cod

For physics, my school has 2 classes that are calculus based and 2 that are not calculus based. Both are beginning classes in physics UNLESS you are a physics major. If that's the case, then you have to take all 4 classes. Remember that this is my school and yours could be different, but that should give you a good idea. Take a look in your school catalog for more information. I'm sure you'll find your answers in there or even the school website.

4. Aug 21, 2003 #3
    I'm currently using that exact textbook here, in third quarter E&M, and we use quite a bit of calculus. I didn't take the first two quarters of physics with this book, but it seems that this particular book does employ a fair amount of calculus.

Keep in mind the material in first quarter physics lends itself to require only the most basic calculus.

5. Aug 21, 2003 #4
    Study of thermodynamics requires both total and partial differentiation, which is hard to master without calculus preparation.

6. Aug 24, 2003 #5
    If your mechanics course is calculus based, you'll definitely benefit from taking calc I concurrently with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?