How much calculus is in 1st semester physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the textbook "Physics for scientists and engineers" in a first semester physics course. The speaker mentions the importance of being familiar with calculus for the study of thermodynamics and recommends taking a calculus-based mechanics course concurrently. They also mention that their specific school has different requirements for physics courses depending on major.
Nitrus
im currently taking 1st semester physics, were using the Serway "Physics for scientists and engineers" book, and were going through chapter 22 which is thermodynamics... what elements of physics do i need to be familiar with? Will it be used a lot or not really until E&M?

Physics news on Phys.org
For physics, my school has 2 classes that are calculus based and 2 that are not calculus based. Both are beginning classes in physics UNLESS you are a physics major. If that's the case, then you have to take all 4 classes. Remember that this is my school and yours could be different, but that should give you a good idea. Take a look in your school catalog for more information. I'm sure you'll find your answers in there or even the school website.

I'm currently using that exact textbook here, in third quarter E&M, and we use quite a bit of calculus. I didn't take the first two quarters of physics with this book, but it seems that this particular book does employ a fair amount of calculus.

Keep in mind the material in first quarter physics lends itself to require only the most basic calculus.

Study of thermodynamics requires both total and partial differentiation, which is hard to master without calculus preparation.

If your mechanics course is calculus based, you'll definitely benefit from taking calc I concurrently with it.

1. How is calculus used in 1st semester physics?

In 1st semester physics, calculus is used to understand and model the behavior of objects in motion. It is particularly useful in calculating rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration, as well as determining the area under a curve, which is important for calculating work and energy.

2. Do I need to know calculus to do well in 1st semester physics?

While a basic understanding of calculus can be helpful, it is not necessarily required to do well in 1st semester physics. Many concepts can be understood using algebra and basic trigonometry. However, a strong foundation in calculus can make it easier to understand and apply certain concepts, such as derivatives and integrals.

3. Can I learn calculus and 1st semester physics at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to learn both calculus and 1st semester physics simultaneously. In fact, many universities offer a combined course that covers both subjects. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic algebra and trigonometry before attempting to learn calculus and physics simultaneously.

4. How much calculus do I need to know for 1st semester physics?

The amount of calculus needed for 1st semester physics varies depending on the specific curriculum and course requirements. Generally, a basic understanding of derivatives and integrals is necessary for topics such as kinematics, forces, and energy. More advanced topics, such as rotational motion and fluid mechanics, may require a more in-depth understanding of calculus.

5. Can I use a calculator for calculus in 1st semester physics?

In most cases, yes, calculators can be used for calculus in 1st semester physics. However, it is important to check with your instructor or course syllabus to ensure that the use of calculators is allowed during exams or quizzes. Additionally, it is important to understand the concepts and methods behind the calculations rather than solely relying on a calculator.