How much charge on a plate needed to lift it against gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a thin uniform metal disk on an infinite conducting plane, subjected to a uniform gravitational field and slowly gaining charge. The question asks for the required charge density for the disk to leave the plate. One approach suggested by the professor is to consider the potential everywhere, while another approach is to use virtual work and set it equal to zero. Both approaches have their merits and it would be beneficial to discuss them further with the professor for a better understanding.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

A thin uniform metal disk lies on an infinite conducting plane. A uniform gravitational field is oriented normal to the plane. Initially the disk and plane are uncharged; charge is slowly added. The mass of the disk is M, and its area is A. What value of charge density is required to cause the disk to leave the plate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

see attachment. The question I have: why did my professor tell me "Consider doing some virtual work over distance (dW/dx is kind of like a force), add gravity, and set it equal to zero." This implied I should find the potential everywhere. But I don't see how finding the potential everywhere (with an image-disk) would help, since that would be the potential felt by an observer, *not* the real disk itself. I think my approach is best. And that's when I get extra worried: if my approach is convincing to no one but me, 'cuz that means I'm *really* missing something... :-p

Attachments

• 085 - pr0c - thin uniform metal disk against gravity.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 329
Physics news on Phys.org

Your professor may have suggested finding the potential everywhere because it can provide insight into the behavior of the disk as it gains charge. By considering the potential, you can see how it changes as charge is added and how it affects the disk's motion.

However, your approach of using virtual work and setting it equal to zero is also valid. It takes into account the forces acting on the disk and determines the necessary charge density to overcome those forces and cause the disk to leave the plate.

It is important to consider both approaches and see how they complement each other in understanding the problem. I would suggest discussing this further with your professor to gain a better understanding of the concepts involved.

Best of luck with your studies!

1. How does the amount of charge on a plate affect its ability to lift against gravity?

The amount of charge on a plate directly affects its ability to lift against gravity. The greater the charge, the stronger the electric field surrounding the plate, which in turn creates a greater force of repulsion between the plate and any surrounding objects. This repulsive force allows the plate to overcome the force of gravity and lift.

2. Is there a specific formula for calculating the amount of charge needed to lift a plate against gravity?

Yes, the formula for calculating the amount of charge needed to lift a plate against gravity is q = mg/E, where q is the amount of charge, m is the mass of the plate, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and E is the electric field strength.

3. Can the amount of charge needed to lift a plate against gravity vary based on the material of the plate?

Yes, the amount of charge needed to lift a plate against gravity can vary based on the material of the plate. Different materials have different properties, such as mass and conductivity, that can affect the strength of the electric field and therefore the amount of charge needed to lift the plate.

4. How does the distance between the plate and the object it is lifting affect the amount of charge needed?

The distance between the plate and the object it is lifting affects the amount of charge needed in an inverse relationship. The farther away the object is, the weaker the electric field and therefore the greater amount of charge needed to create a strong enough repulsive force to lift the object. Conversely, the closer the object is, the stronger the electric field and the less charge needed.

5. Is there a limit to how much charge can be put on a plate to lift it against gravity?

Yes, there is a limit to how much charge can be put on a plate to lift it against gravity. This limit is known as the breakdown voltage and varies depending on the material and geometry of the plate. If the amount of charge exceeds the breakdown voltage, the electric field becomes too strong and can lead to arcing or other electrical issues.