1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much co-op pays roughly?

1. Aug 17, 2008 #1
    Hey im gonna do co-op next year and wondering how much it pays roughly. What have people who done it got? What year you did co-op?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2008 #2
    This question is very hard to answer seeing as pay depends on: Location, employer, year of study, program of study, etc...

That's like asking: "How much will I make at my future job?" without giving us any further details! :confused:
  4. Aug 17, 2008 #3
    It will most likely depend on where you live. Here in the midwest, the average pay for my university's program is a little north a $15/hour. That ends up bringing in around $10,000 for the semester.

If you live on one of the coasts or a big city, you will get more in correlation to the living costs.
  5. Aug 18, 2008 #4
    I just accepted a co-op at Redstone Arsenal and the pay is $12/hour. However, they are paying for tuition every semester until I graduate. If I were to break down that amount and spread it over sixteen 40 hour work weeks, it winds up being much more than other co-ops at my school that make 17-18 an hour. So look at all the aspects, not just the hourly rate.
  6. Aug 18, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

Wow you guys are lucky. Where I live, the allowance is only about $8/hour.
  7. Aug 18, 2008 #6
    Are you sure they will pay you after the work ?
    I know some are very 'careful' before they decide to pay their workers even when it passed the deadline for days
  8. Aug 18, 2008 #7

Homework Helper

Don't you have to sign some kind of legally-binding agreement with them before you commence? How could they not pay you then?
  9. Aug 18, 2008 #8

It is an alternating co-op. I start spring of '09, they pay for a study semester (Summer 09) and I work again in the fall. It works out so that the study semester after my 3rd work term will be the semester that I graduate.
  10. Aug 18, 2008 #9
    My lucky friend (we have finished first year) is making 22$/hr - He had ~70 % marks (almost average).
    He's just an average guy who talks more than what he know (and it would sound complete BS) :rofl:
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  11. Aug 18, 2008 #10
    jerk.. and here I am first in my class, making $13/hr and working in a town with a population of 5000, because I'm the only one the employer ranked!

I think the averages published at U Waterloo are something like $14-15/hr for first years and increasing to slightly over $20/hr as you near graduation. This would be in Canada, and most average companies will follow something along these lines.
  12. Aug 18, 2008 #11
    I am working at 14 from home :biggrin:
  13. Aug 20, 2008 #12
    hehe. Ok, here's a breakdown

Fall '08 -> Full load of classes
    Spring '09 -> 1st work term
    Summer '09 -> School semester
    Fall '09 -> 2nd Work Term
    Spring '10 -> School semester
    Summer '10 -> 3rd and final work term
    Fall '10 -> Last school semester and graduation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?