Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much do you pay in taxes?

Tags:
  1. Sep 1, 2006 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

It seems like comparing countries, especially when it's against the US, always comes down to taxes. Why no health care? Taxes. Why is military big/small? Taxes. Public education? Taxes!

This thread is really simple. State where you live and how much of your paycheck, as a percent, is jacked. Include all deducations. If your income is $3000 and you only took home $2337, count the entire $663 as taxes.

I live in Edmonton, Canada and I pay 22.1% tax.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As a student, I guess I pay nothing and will for awhile to come.

I'm not sure how much I would pay though, but I'm guessing 22% or so.

Although I don't pay taxes now, I'd be fine with paying an extra 10% and not getting my tax return if only we had a better health care systerm. Unfortunately, the government is too corrupted to do this and others wouldn't agree because they think it should be free. :rolleyes:

4. Sep 1, 2006 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm in the 28% tax bracket. That's just Federal, I also have state income tax.

5. Sep 1, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

About 21% if you include the FICA and Medicare taxes as Federal taxes. Plus, there's an approximately 4% state tax. Sales tax is 6% here. Thankfully, I no longer live in a city, so don't have to pay city taxes too.

6. Sep 2, 2006 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With a new mortgage and three kids, I've got no federal liability at all (deduction of mortgage interest plus child tax credit actually gives me back more than was withheld). Still with Connecticut income, sales, plus local taxes (Property, sewar, fire district, car fees) I pay just over 15%.

God help those who rent.

7. Sep 2, 2006 #6
    20% is nothing, in Belgium the top bracket is > 50%. However this includes a whole bunch of social benifts..

Anyway we are talking about income tax right? Because we all pay much much more in hidden taxes.

If you are clever, especially in Europe, there are many legal ways to pay loads less VAT and Income taxes, using the structure and financial relationships between European countries :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  8. Sep 2, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When it's all said and done -- federal and state taxes -- I end up paying about 34%. I really need to buy some property. :frown:

- Warren

9. Sep 2, 2006 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I live by the motto: Don't ask, don't tell. :smile:

10. Sep 2, 2006 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I refuse to pay taxes.

And im a student. My income is such that i can live by that motto for a few more years

11. Sep 2, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I'm going to take a real hit this year for renting. :cry: But, I'd have probably just spent the difference in my rebate on hiring people to do the yardwork I don't have time for anymore, so I probably break even anyway.

12. Sep 2, 2006 #11
    heh, capitalists... i do not know the numbers per paycheck, but my parents pay about 60%, its the highest tax, i dont know my parents paycheck, but we are not rich or something that we get such tax...
    though if you dont get a high income the payment will be much lower.

its crazy i know, its a theaft...

13. Sep 2, 2006 #12
    60%?? What country are you from? The highest federal tax bracket for the US is 35% I do believe. What scales is what bracket you fall into based on income and marriage status.

Though doing research it seems that back in 1993-2000 the maximum bracket was 39.6%.

14. Sep 2, 2006 #13

turbo

Gold Member

You're getting off cheap. Don't move to Maine, unless you can either make lots of money or be self-sufficient. Anything in between, and you're getting shafted. I worked as a technical service/sales rep for an out-of state company for 9 months, until they were bought up by a competitor with a duplicate technical/sales structure that got rid of all of us in a mass layoff. After being out of work from September until April, I found out that the idiots in payroll (who asked how my State sales taxes should be deducted when I was hired), never actually deducted and submitted them. I never noticed it, because each paycheck came attached to a complex statement of activities in all the accounts in my territory. I owed over $6000 of state income taxes for 9 months of employment because of that oversight. Maine is one of the most heavily taxed states in the US, and the idiots in Augusta don't seem to know how to rein the spending in to give us a break. You have to hold your nose while voting every year - the difference between the Dems and the Reps don't amount to a warm bucket of spit. The main difference between them is who they want to give my tax money to and who they expect their bribes from.

15. Sep 2, 2006 #14
    im just 19 years old, i was talking about my parents... i think they get like 4000 to 5000 a month, but its a wild guess. my father is an engineer has his own small company producing a product he developed. and my mom works at SAP, she has a good position in a sub company of SAP("SAP manage").

oh, and i live in israel, in america you dont get same services like here... here we have "free" medical care, pension, army, 12 years in school, money to the unimployed(for a certain time), aid to the sick and crippled, old people, and all this stuff.
    though there is a lot of money going to the very wrong places.

16. Sep 2, 2006 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I pay 29.7%, that includes money for my retirement fund (8%). Sales tax is 19%.

17. Sep 2, 2006 #16

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I can't understand how a country can have 19% sales tax without the economy completely crashing. Buying a new car would actually be cheaper if you bought it in another country and drove it back.

From the looks of it, Canada's taxes aren't too bad. Most of you guys are paying way more than me, and Chi is paying less simply because he has kids and I don't.

18. Sep 2, 2006 #17

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, in the US, mortgage payments are tax-deductible. Buying a house is a simple way to cut your taxable income in half, and simultaneously put yourself in a lower tax bracket.

Unfortunately, I live in California, where a modest house runs half a million dollars and requires a $3,000/mo commitment... so I'm still saving up my pennies to buy, and getting the hell taxed out of me in the meantime.

- Warren

19. Sep 2, 2006 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It works splendidly!
    In Norway, the sales taxes are typically in the range 23-25%
    (on tobacco and alcohol, about 70%)

The income tax level is typically somewhat below 30%

20. Sep 2, 2006 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

haha, you are kidding me right? When we buy a new car, we pay 19% sales tax, PLUS 45.2% tax over the car itself (if you don't believe it, here it says so: http://www.autobelastingen.nl/text.php?t_ID=2); that is 65,8% tax on a new car. It would be nice to just buy the car abroad, but you can't drive it here with a foreign license (only if you have business or house abroad).

We don't pay 19% on everything, I believe food-items are 6% sales tax. I don't know what the taxes on fuel and tobacco are, but they are high.

21. Sep 2, 2006 #20

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Canada is a big scam like that on alcohol as well.
    You can buy 85% ethanol 15% methanol from a chemical company for something like $2/L including the cost of the barrel, yet somehow a 1L bottle of 40% alcohol is $26 at the liquor store? It's all tax. That alcohol and water by itself only costs $2, the remaining $24 is tax making it about 1200% tax.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?