How much do you spend on clothes per year?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Per Year
In summary: I usually spend maybe $300 per year on clothes, sometimes less, but just went shopping today and already passed that limit in one day (but that's...normal for me).I shop at secondhand stores, big box stores, and online. I like finding good deals on clothes and I'm not afraid to try on clothes to see if they fit. I also like to sew my own clothes, but that's about it for my fashion sense. On me - $400, on the Evo Child $5,896,758,943.25Whistle and flute - suit.In summary, Hoot spends about $500 a year on clothes, mostly on designer clothes.
I don't spend more than 10$ on clothes annually.

But my sister, well...
I've observed that women tend to slightly overspend on clothes.

Physics news on Phys.org
siddharth said:
I've observed that women tend to slightly overspend on clothes.
Is that why most men prefer their women to wear skimpy clothing? :confused:

siddharth said:
I don't spend more than 10$ on clothes annually.
Unless you're wearing rags, you can't even buy a pack of socks and a couple pairs of new underwear for that...even for a guy. Unless of course, someone else is the one spending money on your clothes. It doesn't take much to add up to a couple hundred a year. A couple t-shirts in spring/summer, some socks and underwear to replace the ones with holes or worn waistbands (women have to add in bras, which substantially increases the expense), maybe a pair of cheap sneakers or other shoes, one or two new sweaters for winter to replace those that have gotten holes or pulls or shrunk, and a pair or two of shorts or pants, and you're easily up to $150 in clothing purchases if you can find everything on sale or at discount stores. That's a pretty modest clothing allotment for anyone.

Once you have a career and need to dress more professionally, the clothing gets a bit more expensive. You can't just get cheap t-shirts to wear all summer, you need nicer shirts, and you need to buy both the career clothes along with the casual weekend clothes. The most expensive year of shopping for me was when I got my first faculty appointment. I could no longer keep wearing the jeans with faded t-shirts and sweatshirts every day, and had to get the entire wardrobe of professional looking clothing. Now I just need to replace things as they wear out (or shrink...I have a tendency to miss things that aren't supposed to go in the dryer). As it is, I still hang onto too many things beyond their useful life, but that's what I finally cleaned out yesterday.

scorpa said:
Lol no not for me, I hate clothes shopping, I only like shopping when its for something fun like motorcycles...haha I have always been such a daddy's girl :tongue2:

Good for you scorpa, i could never understand why women want to dress like an xmas cracker, some times i am sure the designers of these dresses are
having a laugh.

I've never seen anyone look like a christmas cracker! Clothes design is a form of art if I could draw I would consider becoming a designer.

scorpa said:
Lol no not for me, I hate clothes shopping, I only like shopping when its for something fun like motorcycles...haha I have always been such a daddy's girl :tongue2:

Im a daddys girl too but I just borrow his credit card or get him to take me shopping for clothes, music, anything really (we going car shopping next weekend!) :biggrin:

scorpa is a daddy's girl, but her daddy is a biker and I'll bet that he will happily shop for stuff that she needs (bikes, accessories, leathers, etc) and probably lay back on the basics (jeans, tops, sweats, etc). I don't know this for sure, but if I had a daughter I would treat her that way. My wife is a good, competent passenger that makes my job in challenging situations easy. I would love to have a daughter (or son) to ride with - someone who loves bikes and respects their limitations while taking best advantage of their strengths.

rhuthwaite said:
Im a daddys girl too but I just borrow his credit card or get him to take me shopping for clothes, music, anything really (we going car shopping next weekend!) :biggrin:

Buy a Subaru Outback, because that would be Hilarious.

A range rover would work too.

rhuthwaite said:
Haha Danger you dirty man!
Thanks for leaving 'old' out of that description. :!)

cyrusabdollahi said:
Buy a Subaru Outback, because that would be Hilarious.

A range rover would work too.

Na don't think they would suit my style, I was thinking more along the line of a Merc or BMW or there was a nice porche I saw they other week...
But I have no clue about cars I just go for ones that look nice.

Thanks for leaving 'old' out of that description.
No worries danger

rhuthwaite said:
Na don't think they would suit my style, I was thinking more along the line of a Merc or BMW or there was a nice porche I saw they other week...
But I have no clue about cars I just go for ones that look nice.No worries danger
Get an AWD Subaru with traction control and anti-lock brakes. You cannot get a safer or more stable passenger vehicle, nor can you make any of them even squeak a tire on acceleration - every bit of "left foot" (Edit: OOPS! the other left) turns into "go"!. My wife and I replaced her (beloved) old Nissand Pathfinder with a Subaru Legacy Sedan a few years back and we cannot be happier with that choice. It handles better in ice and snow than my Nissan pickup, and it stops on a dime, with no complaints.

Last edited:
Is it a nice looking car?

rhuthwaite said:
Is it a nice looking car?
It is an attractive vehicle, but not ostentatious. In the US, it can pass for "anonymous" because there are many front wheel drive cars that are similar, but the handling, safety, and driver confidence cannot be matched. If you can try one out, you've got to get to a dirt road, a wet road, etc, and slam the throttle. It is extremely impressive when you slam the throttle and get NO appreciable wheel slip and no slew, just straight-ahead acceleration.

Last edited:
I will try and find one. We have plenty of wet roads at the moment... it hasn't stopped raining in like a week. Any other cars you reccomend? My family is all into the Mercedes but I don't know if I want a really expensive car as I am planing on moving to Canada or england in three years

turbo-1 said:
scorpa is a daddy's girl, but her daddy is a biker and I'll bet that he will happily shop for stuff that she needs (bikes, accessories, leathers, etc) and probably lay back on the basics (jeans, tops, sweats, etc). I don't know this for sure, but if I had a daughter I would treat her that way. My wife is a good, competent passenger that makes my job in challenging situations easy. I would love to have a daughter (or son) to ride with - someone who loves bikes and respects their limitations while taking best advantage of their strengths.

You described the situation perfectly Turbo :smile: I wouldn't trade biking with dad for all of the expensive, fancy designer clothes in the world. The most fun I have ever had was biking, and bike shopping with him. I do buy a lot of my bike gear (like my dirtbiking stuff) and some are hand me downs from him (like my leathers) but I think that's only fair seeing as he bought the bikes.

turbo-1 said:
Get an AWD Subaru with traction control and anti-lock brakes. You cannot get a safer or more stable passenger vehicle, nor can you make any of them even squeak a tire on acceleration - every bit of "left foot" turns into "go"!. My wife and I replaced her (beloved) old Nissand Pathfinder with a Subaru Legacy Sedan a few years back and we cannot be happier with that choice. It handles better in ice and snow than my Nissan pickup, and it stops on a dime, with no complaints.
That's what I need. I just need the time to go car shopping. I didn't even realize there was a sedan version of the Legacy until a few months ago (I thought it was only the station wagon looking thing that I didn't like at all), but now that I know, I'm going to have to look into it. Subarus in general are very popular cars around here given the winter road conditions, so they're at the top of my list (mostly I just need to look at the different models and test drive them to see which one I prefer, and see if they have any pre-owned ones on the lot that would be suitable...I don't need it to be brand new, and considering how popular they are here, I'm thinking there's probably a good used market).

rhuthwaite said:
I probably spend about $1000 plus on clothes and I design and make some of my own. (I love designer clothes... bought a lovely silk top just the other day for about $225, ridiculuos price but I love it. It was one of those must haves)
:eek: The only thing I buy that costs that much are shoes.
Not because I have a relative named Emilia, but that's what it takes to get something on my feet. :grumpy:

Btw: Nice pic o:)