1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much do you study

1. Feb 18, 2007 #1
    How many hours per day or p week do you study. I personally study like 5 hours for week. I get a notebook, the book and a glass of soda and then I start. What about you?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2007 #2
    There's a poll around somewhere that is on the same topic. Some people go 12 hrs a day!

4. Feb 18, 2007 #3
    It depends. Some days in the week I only study one or two hours. Other days I study between five and six. I'd say it averages out to about 3 hours a day. Incidentally, I find that a beer is much more helpful than a glass of soda (to me anyway), especially when a bunch of physics majors and I get together at the local pizza joint to get our assignment done.

Of course, right now I study 0 hours a day, since I graduated college and don't start grad school until this summer.

5. Feb 18, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

6. Feb 18, 2007 #5
    This poll also includes hours in class, not soley study time outside of class.

7. Feb 19, 2007 #6
    By study do you mean time spent on doing assingments, or soley time spent re-do old examples in prep for exams?

8. Feb 19, 2007 #7

radou

Homework Helper

Interesting, this is the third thread on this topic in one day.

9. Feb 19, 2007 #8
    varies depending on wha you consider study

10. Feb 19, 2007 #9
    about 10 hours a semester.

11. Feb 20, 2007 #10

J77

:biggrin: Someone with sense!

12. Feb 20, 2007 #11
    I usually dont study unless when a test comes up and then I can study for about 5 hours a day for about 2 weeks. Also I tend to wait till the last moment to do an assignment and spend about 4-6 hours doing it (untill the early hours of the morning)

EDIT: actually I really just study the night before and the moring of the test, probably about 5 hours on each subject

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  13. Feb 20, 2007 #12
    probably a night or two before exams ... and assignments are made/copied in class!

14. Feb 20, 2007 #13
    So other than the small minority of workaholics, we're all quite a lazy bunch?

Surprising. I thought I was the lazy one.

15. Feb 20, 2007 #14
    Whenever I study, I have to smoke a bowl. Afterwards, everything crystallizes.

16. Feb 21, 2007 #15
    I looked about at school, and it seems that the science kids are either the geeks or the laziest ones... just my school (we're a bunch of freaks in any case) or anyone else see this?

Personally i really do not do enough lol, but i find a bag of marshmallows helps the work along brilliantly! Other than that the computer and my friends are far too distracting

17. Feb 21, 2007 #16
    I don't really care what the kids in my department look or act like or if they are geeks, because I have drastically different interests than they do, already. I just care that they know maths and physics as that's why I am at school.

18. Feb 21, 2007 #17
    Hardly. At our school, if you're a reclusive geek, you fail. You have to be sociable and interact with your classmates because there is no way anyone who isn't a total genius - to the degree that there are none of the calibre I'm talking about here - can do all the assignments on their own without collaboration.

A few eccentrics, perhaps. Only a couple I'd call genuine geeks.

19. Feb 21, 2007 #18
    That is precisely the reason I said, "I only care if they know mathematics and physics." I only socialize with my classmates about school.

I hang out with my friends when I want to to socialize.

EDIT: I just realized you might not be talking to me, haha! If not, my fault Sojourner.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  20. Feb 22, 2007 #19
    haha! same! damn our schools! Apparently though i need to be more outgoing in class and contribute more. And access teachers. (damn parent's evening).
    What kind of school do you go to?

21. Feb 22, 2007 #20
    I say 'school' - accessibility to the American posters, mainly.

Reading University.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?