How much do you trust wikipedia?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wikipedia
In summary, there is a debate over the reliability of Wikipedia as a source of information. While some teachers and professors caution against using it, others argue that it can be a valuable resource with its large number of contributors and constant updates. The use of Wikipedia in academic writing is a controversial topic, and there may be a generational gap in its acceptance. However, it is important to consider the expertise and experience of professors when evaluating the credibility of sources.
ehrenfest
Some of my high school teachers and college professors have warned me to "Never use Wikipedia" because it is dangerously inaccurate. I think this view just reflects an inability of older generations to adapt to this new form of information sharing. In fact, I have come to trust Wikipedia more than I trust my professors. By that I mean that I assign more truth value to things I read on Wikipedia than to things my professors tell me. Its not that my professors are just full or lies or something, but that they do not have millions of people reviewing their brains everyday to correct flawed logic, add the results of recent studies, correct misremembered facts, etc. I think the only source I trust more than Wikipedia is academic journals themselves.

The teachers and professors who bad-mouthed Wikipedia claimed that "any old fool" could edit it but totally overlooked the fact that on the other hand, any member of the educated elite could edit it. That is the major benefit over the conventional academic sources: they are just the work of a select group of people whose knowledge may be limited. After a conventional academic source is published, you have to contact the author to explain the error and then wait for the next edition to come out.

So, here are few questions I thought might be interesting to discuss:
1) When is Wikipedia appropriate as a source in academic writing? Some of my teachers and professors say they would give an immediate F to any paper that cited Wikipedia. Do you think that is a good policy at all levels of education?
2) How much truth value do you give to the things you read on Wikipedia?
3) Do you think there is a large generational gap in the use of Wikipedia?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I understand the concerns raised by your teachers and professors about the use of Wikipedia as a source in academic writing. However, I also believe that there are some important considerations to keep in mind when it comes to trusting Wikipedia.

Firstly, it is important to recognize that Wikipedia is a collaborative platform, which means that anyone can edit the information on it. While this may lead to some inaccuracies, it also means that there are many people constantly reviewing and updating the content, which can lead to a more comprehensive and up-to-date source of information compared to traditional academic sources.

In terms of when Wikipedia is appropriate as a source in academic writing, I believe it can be used as a starting point for research, but it should not be the sole source of information. This is because Wikipedia articles are not peer-reviewed, and therefore may not have the same level of credibility as academic journals. However, it can be a useful resource for finding references and further reading on a topic.

In terms of the truth value of information on Wikipedia, I think it is important to critically evaluate the information and consider the sources cited. As with any source of information, it is always important to cross-check and verify facts.

I do believe that there may be a generational gap in the use of Wikipedia, as older generations may be more hesitant to trust information from a collaborative platform. However, as you mentioned, the fact that educated individuals have the ability to edit and review the content on Wikipedia can also be seen as a strength.

Overall, I think it is important to approach Wikipedia with a critical eye and use it as a starting point for research rather than a definitive source of information. It is also important for educators to guide students in evaluating sources and using them appropriately in academic writing.

1. How reliable is Wikipedia as a source of information?

While Wikipedia can be a useful starting point for research, it is not considered a reliable source of information by most academics and scientists. This is because anyone can edit Wikipedia pages, and there is no formal peer-review process in place to ensure the accuracy of information.

2. Can I trust the information on Wikipedia?

As with any source of information, it is important to critically evaluate the information found on Wikipedia. While some articles may be well-researched and accurate, others may contain biased or incorrect information. It is always best to cross-check information found on Wikipedia with other sources.

3. Are there any measures in place to prevent misinformation on Wikipedia?

While Wikipedia does have policies in place to prevent misinformation, such as requiring sources for information and having volunteer editors review articles, these measures are not foolproof. This is why it is important to use Wikipedia as a starting point for research and not rely solely on it for accurate information.

4. How does Wikipedia ensure the accuracy of information?

Unlike traditional sources of information, Wikipedia relies on a collaborative effort from volunteer editors to ensure the accuracy of information. These editors are responsible for fact-checking and monitoring changes made to articles. However, as with any human-led effort, mistakes and biases can still occur.

5. Is it okay to use Wikipedia as a source for academic or scientific work?

This depends on the specific guidelines set by your institution or publication. In general, it is not recommended to use Wikipedia as a source for academic or scientific work as it is not considered a reliable source. However, you can use Wikipedia as a starting point for research and then find more reputable sources to cite in your work.