1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much do you work daily?

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    I don't know if this post is related to Academic Guidance, but it seems to fit here. So the question is simple, how much do you work daily/weekly/monthly? (choose what period of time you like). How long does it take for you to finish a book of...say 600 pages. (I know that different books take a different amount of time to complete, some being easier than others, but let's just say a standard undergraduate textbook on mechanics).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2
    I know Dummit and Foote took about an hour and a half a chapter for me to read and do a few problems for the first half, it took me a couple weeks to get down the material through chapter 5 well enough to ace the class( I came in the class late through an independent study and the professor said if I caught up I could take the course early since I was still in my proofs class, so I just learned all of the material).

On the other hand, a denser book like Atiyah McDonald's commutative algebra takes a good bit longer to get through each chapter and some of the problems are pretty tough.

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3
    I am currently writing my MSc thesis and I manage about 4-7 pages a day doing about eight hours solid.

Hope that helps

5. Mar 4, 2009 #4
    up to 4 hours a day

6. Mar 4, 2009 #5
    8000 Kilojoules

7. Mar 4, 2009 #6

:rofl:

8. Mar 6, 2009 #7

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

About 10-13 hours a day, between my day job and other activities that require my attention. My day job is no less than 9 hours daily, 5 days a week, and overtime at night or on the weekends in the 5-8 hours about 2-3 weeks a month.

9. Mar 9, 2009 #8
    that was uncalled for :surprised: :rofl:

10. Mar 9, 2009 #9

atyy

Science Advisor

dU=dW+dQ

Work or heat? :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook