How much energy is required to complete a book of 600 pages?

• Thread starter Qubix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of work and time it takes to read and complete books, specifically in the fields of mechanics and commutative algebra. It also mentions the daily work schedules of the individuals involved.
Qubix
I don't know if this post is related to Academic Guidance, but it seems to fit here. So the question is simple, how much do you work daily/weekly/monthly? (choose what period of time you like). How long does it take for you to finish a book of...say 600 pages. (I know that different books take a different amount of time to complete, some being easier than others, but let's just say a standard undergraduate textbook on mechanics).

Physics news on Phys.org
I know Dummit and Foote took about an hour and a half a chapter for me to read and do a few problems for the first half, it took me a couple weeks to get down the material through chapter 5 well enough to ace the class( I came in the class late through an independent study and the professor said if I caught up I could take the course early since I was still in my proofs class, so I just learned all of the material).

On the other hand, a denser book like Atiyah McDonald's commutative algebra takes a good bit longer to get through each chapter and some of the problems are pretty tough.

I am currently writing my MSc thesis and I manage about 4-7 pages a day doing about eight hours solid.

Hope that helps

up to 4 hours a day

8000 Kilojoules

lubuntu said:
8000 Kilojoules

:rofl:

About 10-13 hours a day, between my day job and other activities that require my attention. My day job is no less than 9 hours daily, 5 days a week, and overtime at night or on the weekends in the 5-8 hours about 2-3 weeks a month.

lubuntu said:
8000 Kilojoules

that was uncalled for : :rofl:

lubuntu said:
8000 Kilojoules

dU=dW+dQ

Work or heat? :tongue2:

What is a typical workday like for a scientist?

A typical workday for a scientist can vary greatly depending on their field of study and specific job responsibilities. However, most scientists spend a significant amount of time conducting experiments, analyzing data, and writing reports or papers.

How many hours do scientists work per day?

The number of hours that scientists work per day can also vary, but most scientists work between 8-10 hours per day. Some may work longer hours, especially if they are conducting important experiments or are on a tight deadline.

Do scientists work on weekends?

It depends on the individual scientist and their specific job responsibilities. Some may choose to work on weekends in order to complete experiments or meet deadlines, while others may have a more structured schedule that does not require weekend work.

Is the work of a scientist physically demanding?

The physical demands of a scientist's work can vary depending on their area of research. Some may spend long hours in a lab or in the field, while others may have a more sedentary job. However, all scientists must have good hand-eye coordination and attention to detail in order to accurately conduct experiments and record data.

How much time do scientists spend writing and publishing?

Writing and publishing is a crucial aspect of a scientist's job. Depending on their job responsibilities, some scientists may spend a significant amount of time writing and publishing papers, while others may not have as much of a focus on this area. Overall, writing and publishing can take up a significant portion of a scientist's workday.