• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How much energy is required to ionize one atom of Al?

  • Thread starter jewilki1
  • Start date
  • #1
21
0
a. the first ionization energy of aluminum is 578 kJ/mol. How much energy is required to ionize one atom of Al?
I put E= 578 kJ/mol . is this how to start?

b. Write out balanced chemical equation that represents the first ionization of aluminum (you must include the physical states)

c. Calculate the wavelength of a photon that has just enough energy to ionize a single atom of aluminum.

d. how many moles of photons with the wavelength you calculated in part c are required to ionize 1.15 moles of aluminum?

Can you help me set these up. I am studying for a test and we have not been over all of these yet? Thanks.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
875
1
jewilki1 said:
a. the first ionization energy of aluminum is 578 kJ/mol. How much energy is required to ionize one atom of Al?
I put E= 578 kJ/mol . is this how to start?
the energy given is in terms of moles. You are trying to find the energy for a single atom. So how many atoms in a mole....

jewilki1 said:
b. Write out balanced chemical equation that represents the first ionization of aluminum (you must include the physical states)
Remember, Aluminum like to ionize to +3.

jewilki1 said:
c. Calculate the wavelength of a photon that has just enough energy to ionize a single atom of aluminum.
Using the equation E = H * C / Lambda,
where E is the energy of a wave, H is planks constant, C is the speed of light in a vacuum, and Lamba is the wavelength of the wave, you can solve for the wavelength since you know Energy and H and C are constants.
H = 6.63 E-34 Js/photon
C =3.0 E8 m/s

jewilki1 said:
d. how many moles of photons with the wavelength you calculated in part c are required to ionize 1.15 moles of aluminum?
I think 1 photon will ionize 1 atom assuming the photon is of the correct energy.
 

Related Threads on How much energy is required to ionize one atom of Al?

Replies
1
Views
19K
Replies
1
Views
3K
Replies
1
Views
21K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
7K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
11K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
24K
Top