How much has the cable stretched?

• Thread starter cowgiljl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the amount of cable stretch when a truck pulls a car out of a ditch using a steel cable with a length of 9.1 meters and a radius of .5cm. The tension of the cable is 890N when the car just begins to move. The speaker uses the formula Change in L = F*original length/YA to determine the stretch, which comes out to be 5.2E-4 m. They also clarify the units and ask for confirmation on their calculations.
cowgiljl
A truck is pulling a car out of a ditchwith a steel cable that is 9.1 meters long and has a radius of .5cm. When the car just begins to move the tension of the cable is 890N. How much has the cable stretched?
converted .5cm to .005m
area of the wire A = pie*r^2
Y = 20E10 (steel)
used the formula Change in L = F*orginal length/YA

Change in L = 890N*9.10m / 20E10* (pie*.005^2)

and got 5.2E-4 m

did i go about this correctly?

thanks joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me.

Originally posted by cowgiljl
A truck is pulling a car out of a ditchwith a steel cable that is 9.1 meters long and has a radius of .5cm. When the car just begins to move the tension of the cable is 890N. How much has the cable stretched?
converted .5cm to .005m
area of the wire A = pie*r^2
Y = 20E10 (steel)
used the formula Change in L = F*orginal length/YA

Change in L = 890N*9.10m / 20E10* (pie*.005^2)

and got 5.2E-4 m

did i go about this correctly?

thanks joe

Now, is this cable apple, or cherry pie?

I'm sorry I couldn't resist

1. How do you measure the amount of cable stretch?

The amount of cable stretch can be measured by comparing the original length of the cable to its current length. This can be done using a ruler or measuring tape.

2. What causes a cable to stretch?

Cables stretch due to the force or weight applied to them. The more weight or force, the more the cable will stretch. Other factors that can contribute to cable stretch include temperature and the material of the cable.

3. Does the material of the cable affect its stretch?

Yes, the material of the cable can affect its stretch. Some materials, such as steel, are less likely to stretch compared to other materials like nylon or rubber.

4. How can cable stretch impact the accuracy of measurements?

Cable stretch can impact the accuracy of measurements by altering the length of the cable and thus changing the distance between two points. This can result in incorrect measurements and affects the precision of the data collected.

5. Is there a limit to how much a cable can stretch?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a cable can stretch. Every material has a breaking point, and if a cable is stretched beyond this point, it can snap or break. It is important to consider the weight and force applied to a cable to prevent it from stretching beyond its limit.