How much information on the Internet is reasonably accurate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of information on the internet and how it is difficult to determine a specific percentage. It is noted that there is a lot of unreliable information on the internet, and even valid websites may have inaccuracies. It is also mentioned that there are certain standards for determining the credibility of a website, such as listing the author and updating information regularly. Websites ending in .edu, .org, .gov, or from reputable databases are generally considered more reliable.

• <5%

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 5% to 10%

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 10% to 20%

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 20% to 30%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30% to 50%

• 50% to 70%

• 70% to 90%

• >90%

• The percentage is indeterminable

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
Loren Booda

Physics news on Phys.org
Resonably?

"Reasonably" in a scientific, philosophical or legal sense. Use your own judgment.

I had to vote for less than 5% because of the sheer number of websites and places where people can post garbage on the internet. I would say the valid websites are scarce in comparison.

I voted that the percentage is indeterminable. I really have no idea, there's a lot of junk on the internet, and I certainly haven't explored it all and researched it all to find out how much is accurate. Plus, it depends on what you mean by accurate. Someone's blog site that just tells their thoughts in diary form is accurate in that it reflects their opinions, but their opinions may be based on inaccuracies, so I don't know how that gets scored. But there are days when I'm not even sure if the AP and Reuters news sites can be considered reasonably accurate. There seems to be growing laziness in reporting, with a real lack of good investigative reporting and first person accounting of events, so we just get the condensed version put out in the press release package.

If a source doesn't come from a website ending in a .edu, .org, .gov, or from a data base like lexus nexus etc. I usually take the information on the site with a grain of salt. I remember from my English college classes that there are standards that you should use when determining whether a website has credible information or not. The website should always list the author and when the last time it was updated. If any grammatical or spelling mistakes are made then the webpage should be disregarded immediately. Citations should also be made. I usually never look for information on .com websites.

1. How do we know if information on the Internet is accurate?

Determining the accuracy of information on the Internet can be challenging. One way to assess accuracy is to check the credibility of the source and cross-reference the information with multiple sources. Additionally, evaluating the author's expertise and potential biases can also help determine the accuracy of the information.

2. Is there a way to measure the amount of accurate information on the Internet?

It is difficult to measure the exact amount of accurate information on the Internet as the amount of new information being added is constantly changing. However, there are efforts to create databases and algorithms that can help determine the reliability and accuracy of information on the Internet.

3. Can we trust information from websites without official credentials or certifications?

While official credentials and certifications can indicate a certain level of expertise and accuracy, they are not the only factor to consider. It is important to critically evaluate the information and its source to determine its reliability, regardless of official credentials.

4. Is it possible to ensure that all information on the Internet is accurate?

No, it is not possible to ensure that all information on the Internet is accurate. The Internet is a vast and constantly evolving network, and it is impossible to control all of the information that is shared. It is important for individuals to critically evaluate information and use multiple sources to verify its accuracy.

5. How can we improve the accuracy of information on the Internet?

Improving the accuracy of information on the Internet is a collective effort. Some ways to improve accuracy include fact-checking and verifying information before sharing it, using credible sources, and promoting critical thinking skills to evaluate information. Additionally, promoting responsible and ethical behavior online can also help improve the accuracy of information on the Internet.