Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much is the Salary of

1. Jul 9, 2006 #1
    hi im taking a course called Computer Engineer...
    and i was wondering what could be the salary
    of a Software Engineer...?
    Just curious... and i love computers

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

"Median annual earnings of computer applications software engineers who worked full time in May 2004 were about $74,980. The middle 50 percent earned between $59,130and $92,130. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $46,520, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $113,830."

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos267.htm

Of course this is in the US, you didn't state a particular country.

4. Jul 10, 2006 #3
    That is exatly the same course i am doing. My first year includes just the basics of electronics while the next three years are totally into computer hardware/software engineering.....whoo hooo:smile:

5. Jul 21, 2006 #4

-Job-

Science Advisor

I've applied for some jobs in Software Develpment that paid more than $100,000. Obviously i didn't get any of those because i graduated two months ago (had to try though :) ) but i managed to get a nice paying job as a junior developer in a fairly large company. As your experience grows you can be making alot of money. Demand is also very high. There were so many jobs available and i got so many calls from recruiting companies that it was hard to focus on one. So you can definitely make a living as a Software Developer. It's also exciting work, in my opinion, but i'm biased.

6. Jul 22, 2006 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I have a real love/hate relationship with the BLS. It's such a great resource and fascinated me for the longest time before I got back into school, teaching me the earning potential of just about every possibly career for a college graduate. It's really the devil, though, almost steering me away from what I wanted to study in favor of becoming a spinal surgeon thanks to the fact that their median salary was somewhere around $700K a year, and those in the LA area where I lived were making even more than that.

7. Jan 15, 2009 #6
    My sister-in-law's dad is a senior software engineer at Raytheon and has been working there for 15 years and he makes about $220,000 per year. sure, he did go to Rensselaer majoring in Math and he did work as a researcher at MIT for 10 years before, but still, you can make loads of cash in software engineering!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?