1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much is too much?

1. May 11, 2006 #1
    I'm going into my second year of my master's program, and I'd like to know if I should pursue another research project (in addition).
    Consider:

1) I'll have to take the graduate Quantum sequence (from Shankar)
    2) Fall quarter I will have to take the gre (both subject and general) as I'm planning on pursuing a doctoral
    3) I'll have teaching duties next year (advertised as 20 hours/week)
    4) I'll also have to write my master's thesis (biocomputational modeling)

I'd like to apply for an internship at the base (Wright-Patterson) doing research in quantum dots. This would require an extra 12-15 hours of work a week, but the pay is about $20/hour.

The QD is more in line with what I want to do. However, I enjoy working with my thesis advisor and there is almost no literature published on what I'm doing (sensitivity analysis of discrete stochastic systems) - so there is room to publish.

I figure that having research in an area relevant to what I want to do would be beneficial on my applications. Of course, I could say I want to do the biocomputational side and then switch it up once I'm in somewhere.

The deciding factor, however, is time. On paper it looks like at least a 60 - 70 hour commitment if I try to get the internship. Too much, perhaps?

any advise and insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted