How much is worth

• Thread starter CynthiaS
  • Start date
CynthiaS

Main Question or Discussion Point

Sorry this is not quite on topic: I am trying to find the best way to get a accurate value of stuff being put on ebay.
Is the best way simply to look at "finished auctions" or are there services. These are both electronics and stuff I've had since childhood?

Answers and Replies

I'm sorry but I cant make any sense of what you just said. can you clarify what you are looking for

These are both electronics and stuff I've had since childhood?
please elaborate on what you mean by this

Evo
Mentor
Sorry this is not quite on topic: I am trying to find the best way to get a accurate value of stuff being put on ebay.
Is the best way simply to look at "finished auctions" or are there services. These are both electronics and stuff I've had since childhood?
You would need to get appraisals. These can range from professional appraisals if you think something has enough value, or look through books or magazines that list the items for sale, look up the items on collectors websites on the internet or go by what similar items have been selling for on e-bay.

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Even professional appraisals may not give you a fair idea of how much you'll get on eBay. An item is only worth what someone's prepared to pay for it. Looking at similar items on eBay is probably a pretty good way to judge it.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Sorry this is not quite on topic:
You highjacked your own thread in the original post??!! I'm kind of impressed.

I am trying to find the best way to get a accurate value of stuff being put on ebay.
If the items you're selling are collector's items with some niche group, you can probably find someone in that group that tracks the price of those types of items and lists them on a website. If that's the case, it makes getting a history a lot easier (Someone has a website with past e-Bay prices for slide rules, but you'd probably expect a slide rule collector to be more interested in a web site full of numbers than quilt collectors).

Otherwise, you pretty much have to watch prices on e-Bay yourself and compile your own history, which takes a little longer unless you're selling items with a high sales volume.