How much magnification needed to see

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnification required to see microorganisms such as E. coli, tetanus, and botulism, and a recommendation to try eBay for an inexpensive microscope. It also mentions the use of staining for better visualization and the difficulty of seeing Brownian movement with a 100x toy microscope.
z4955
can anybody tell me how much maginfication it takes to see certain micro organisms such as e coli, tetanus, botulism etc. ? where can I find a suitable microscope that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Biology news on Phys.org
To see have a good view of E. coli, you need a 100X objective (more than 1000X magnification) to see good details although a 40X objective (more than 400X magnification) is sufficient to see the bacteria when they are stainned. I would not stained if I was at home because it is a messy operation

Have you try ebay to find an inexpensive microscope

This one would be sufficient but in lab we use something with more magnification power.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26411&item=3856410272&rd=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Brownian movement

Help. I got a 100 x toy and I can't see the Brownian movement ever. No one has ever been able to tell me what magnification I need. Generally I try aqueous solution.

1. How much magnification do I need to see bacteria?

The amount of magnification needed to see bacteria depends on the type of bacteria and the size of the microscope being used. Most bacteria can be seen with a compound microscope at a magnification of 400x-1000x.

2. How much magnification do I need to see cells?

Similar to bacteria, the amount of magnification needed to see cells depends on the type of cell and the size of the microscope. Most cells can be seen with a compound microscope at a magnification of 100x-400x.

3. How much magnification do I need to see viruses?

Viruses are much smaller than bacteria and cells, so a higher magnification is needed to see them. Most viruses can be seen with an electron microscope at a magnification of 100,000x-500,000x.

4. How much magnification do I need to see atoms?

Atoms are even smaller than viruses and cannot be seen with a traditional microscope. Instead, special instruments such as scanning electron microscopes or transmission electron microscopes are needed to see atoms at a magnification of 10,000,000x-100,000,000x.

5. How much magnification do I need to see stars?

Since stars are incredibly far away, magnification does not play a significant role in seeing them. Telescopes are used to see stars, and their magnification depends on the size and quality of the telescope.