1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much mechanical energy is lost to friction if a 58.1-kg skier slides down a ski s

1. Feb 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How much mechanical energy is lost to friction if a 58.1-kg skier slides down a ski slope at constant speed of 12.1 m/s? The slope is 122.3 m long and makes an angle of 10.3° with respect to the horizontal.

2. Relevant equations

Emec=KE+PE

3. The attempt at a solution

I first found the height of the slope by using sin. Then I tried calculating the difference in PE and KE but it was wrong. I don't know where to go from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2
    Re: How much mechanical energy is lost to friction if a 58.1-kg skier slides down a s

Since the the skier is moving with constant velocity, what does this tell us about the forces acting on the skier and how it relates to friction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook