How much money do you need?

• Thread starter Entropy
  • Start date
and another thing...i wanna go live in "the silent power of the world", CANADA because here in western europe, there is no future left for highly educated people. You are better off by doing nothing here.

marlon

ps where are the canadians here, i have some practical questions for them

Right now I'd be happy with just a job..

As much money as possible really. So that i can pursue all my crazy extravagant fantasies (say, what would it be like to pilot a giant spidery mechanical thing around London making roaring noises? Or funding a company that builds excessively large rockets and to hell with the profit margins? Or buying out a small sub-saharan african state so I can build a particle accelerator that would put the CERN site to shame?), as well as being able to throw tons of cash at charities to appease my guilty conscience (and bribe money, lots and lots of bribe money :smile: )

I figure 2 million english pounds would suffice, a few hundred thousand for me and the rest for the girlfriends clothes, make-up and jewelry!

If i had plenty of money all i would do is buy a nice house, the actual house wouldnt be too important for me but having a large garden and big garage would be nice. Once i have that sorted i will spend the rest of my days doing stuff that i want to do like playing my guitar, sports and working on cars.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Entropy said:
How much money do you need to be satisfied? A thousand? Million? Billion? I've been thinking about all the super rich people in the world that are still making billions of dollars, why do they keep going? Don't they have enough money?
Most of that money is in stock, not cash. As long as they keep their stock, their wealth continues to grow as long as the company grows. If they did decide to start taking out that money however, in large portions, the company would start faultering and that woudl just be ... rude... oh and criminal.

I would take... $4 million... yah that sounds nice.

Danger
Gold Member
I've just revised my answer. I'll take $6,000,000 in 1972 dollars (I don't know the inflation factor) so I can build myself Lindsay Wagner.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Danger said:
I've just revised my answer. I'll take $6,000,000 in 1972 dollars (I don't know the inflation factor) so I can build myself Lindsay Wagner.
Wow! :tongue2:

Here I was thinking ... "I only need enough money to supply me a modest house, food, health care, plus enough extra to buy me a Jeep Wrangler (I've had enough of the more practical Cherokee), buy some slide rules, make myself feel good by dropping some money on one of my kids once in a while ..... and then you had to go and bring up Lindsay Wagner.

I want $6,000,000, too! :rofl:

Enogh money to buy gas everday without having to sue starbucks for making my coffe too hot:rofl:

Nobel and Templeton prizes are weak these days. You need at least $20,000,000 just to break even. Think about it. You need a ranch in Montana or Wyoming with at least a 1,000 acres. And a trust fund for as much fun as you can handle without ODing.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Screw this, give me $2,000,000 and I'll toss it into GE or BofA and live off the $80,000 annual dividends.

$80,000?????:tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: I hope you're a good dope grower. . . . . :!!) :!!) :!!)

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Dope grower?

Ok just because I live in California and voted for a democrat for one seat last election.....:grumpy: :grumpy:

80,000 isn't enough
I made 50,000 this year and I'm broke

Pengwuino
Gold Member
tribdog said:
80,000 isn't enough
I made 50,000 this year and I'm broke
Stop drinking.

my total alcohol budget is less than 100 a year.
I buy a lot of electronic gadgets, that adds up quite quickly.
and paint brushes get really expensive.
It's amazing how fast money just disappears

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Man i remember buying a bunch of electornic crap.... that is a very expensive disease indeed....

Man, I'm a student and I live on about $15,000 a year. Take out all the essentials - rent, bills, car insurance, beer, university fees - and sometimes I'm living on rice and soy sauce for a week at a time.