• Start date
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
20p - 50p in the late 1980s/early 90s.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The first one I lost got me a nickel (1970). It went up to a dime, then to quarters. The last tooth I lost actually COST me about $80 (my one wisdom tooth, 1985). I think I lost out on the entire program.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Who invented the tooth fairy, and why? The tooth fairy never existed in my household.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Who invented the tooth fairy, and why? The tooth fairy never existed in my household.
You didn't loose any? :frown:

Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
In mine, it didn't exist too. However, I knew about it from watching TV, but I never really cared about it anyway.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
These days I think kids are doomed to being stuck at $1 for quite awhile. Inflation will likely eat away at that until the introduction of $2 coins.

Maybe the kids can ask Congress for a bailout for the eroding value of tooth redemptions?

Borek
Mentor
No tooth fairies in Poland. Unless my dentist qualifies, but she never gave me anything. Quite the contrary.

These days I think kids are doomed to being stuck at $1 for quite awhile. Inflation will likely eat away at that until the introduction of $2 coins.

Maybe the kids can ask Congress for a bailout for the eroding value of tooth redemptions?
The last thing we need is another bailout. No one has done any research on the declining quality of children's teeth. With all of the rotten food kids eat these days, how can we rule out the possibility that the Tooth Fairy isn't willing to pay out the big bucks for terrible teeth? Have we totally forgotten about the aspect of quality?

Oh well. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not a toothologist. Never said I was. But there is one thing I do know: it's not inflationary. They don't worry about rising costs in The Land Beyond Time And Space And Rainbows.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thanks for the link. It also has an answer for Redbelly98:

Tooth fairy economics have been closely studied. Rosemary Wells, acknowledged as the world's leading tooth fairy authority, tracked the exchange rate for teeth from 1900 to 1980 against the consumer price index, and found that the tooth fairy kept up with inflation. Another survey in the mid 1990s claimed that the going rate had increased to nearly two bucks from a dime 25 years previously. If so I must have come from a privileged background – back in the 1950s I could swear I got a quarter.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The mid 1970s ranged 25 cents to 50 cents for me.
Same for me, usually just a quarter. The exception was the last couple of molars earned a silver dollar each. Apparantly the toothfairy thought those were special teeth.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
The mid 1970s ranged 25 cents to 50 cents for me.
Same for me, usually just a quarter. The exception was the last couple of molars earned a silver dollar each. Apparantly the toothfairy thought those were special teeth.
Mid-70's 7-year-olds are definitely post-babyboom. With the supply of fresh teeth dwindling, I guess the tooth fairy had to put up more and more cash to make her quota.

Thanks for the link. It also has an answer for Redbelly98:
Cool! Thanks Monique.

I don't remember, maybe a nickel. There was no fairy, it was strictly a business matter between me and my father. He was always paying me for things. I got 10 cents for an A and 5 cents for a B on my report card. In the summer I got a penny a fly for killing flies in the house. Once we took a 2 week vacation on a lagoon and he bought me a crab trap and paid me 10 cents a crab. I had to buy the bait, but it was worth it. He would often give me 30 cents, 25 to go buy him a pack of cigarettes and 5 cents for a candy bar for myself. I got ten cents a week allowance until I was about 12 when I took a paper route.

I gave my kids a dollar a tooth, but I told them it was the tooth fairy. I did the whole thing, they had to put the tooth under the pillow, and I would come in after they fell asleep, took the tooth and left the dollar. I still have the teeth in a couple of envelopes to give to them, I don't know when.

S_Happens
Gold Member
I really don't remember how much I got. It was the early 90s ( :tongue2: ) and I remember at least a dollar for the later ones. For one I actually recieved a " tooth fairy coin" in a wooden container. I'll have to see if I can find that thing. I'm not sure if it was real silver and a troy ounce like the one in the link, but I remember it looking just like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-TOOTH-FAIR...-bar-GIFT_W0QQitemZ270356622303QQcmdZViewItem

Late 70's early 80's... 25-50 cents.

We don't do the tooth-fairy in our present household though.
Mainly because the kid in question would take any change and...
A) spin it noisily on the hardwood floor for hours....
B) then put it in his mouth...
C) then return to step A.