How Much Oxalate is Good/Harmful for Us?

• Thread starter rohanprabhu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential health benefits and risks of consuming guava, which is said to be a rich source of oxalate ions. While some sources claim that oxalate ions can be beneficial, others warn that they can lead to kidney stones. The conversation ends with a question about the harmful and beneficial quantities of oxalate for the human body. It is noted that all food can be dangerous in excessive amounts.
rohanprabhu
Ok.. i read this thing about guava's.. they are a 'rich' source of oxalate, meaning that oxalate ions are supposedly good for us.

I read on wikipedia, and i found that oxalate ions cause kidney stones. So, right here I'm just guessing that it's the 'quantity' that matters. So, my question is that.. basically.. how much of oxalate is harmful to the human body. And a quantity below that.. which is good for us, how is it good for us..

thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
everything foodstuff can be dangerous to us; this is what books say. of course it's about the quantity.

you'd believe that chocolate could cause cancer??

i don't know about the quantities though.

The amount of oxalate that is good or harmful for us depends on various factors such as age, overall health, and any pre-existing medical conditions. Oxalate is a natural compound found in many plants and is also produced in our bodies. It is not necessarily harmful in small amounts, but consuming too much of it can lead to health issues, such as kidney stones.

The recommended daily intake of oxalate for adults is around 40-50mg, but this can vary depending on individual needs. Consuming a moderate amount of oxalate is actually beneficial for our bodies as it helps with the absorption of nutrients and can also act as an antioxidant.

However, too much oxalate can bind with calcium in our bodies and form crystals, which can then lead to the formation of kidney stones. This is why it is important to maintain a balanced diet and not consume excessive amounts of foods that are high in oxalate.

To answer your question about how oxalate can be good for us in small amounts, it is because it helps with the absorption of nutrients and also has antioxidant properties. It is only when consumed in excess that it can become harmful.

Overall, it is important to consume oxalate in moderation and to also stay hydrated to help prevent the formation of kidney stones. If you have any concerns about your oxalate intake, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advice.

1. How much oxalate should I consume daily?

The recommended daily intake of oxalate is less than 40-50 mg for healthy individuals. This amount can vary depending on age, health status, and diet.

2. Can consuming too much oxalate be harmful?

Yes, consuming too much oxalate can lead to the formation of kidney stones and can also interfere with the absorption of certain nutrients like calcium, leading to deficiencies.

3. What foods are high in oxalate?

Foods that are high in oxalate include spinach, beets, almonds, soy products, chocolate, and certain types of berries.

4. Are there any health benefits to consuming oxalate?

Oxalate is a natural compound found in many plant-based foods and can provide health benefits such as reducing the risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer.

5. How can I reduce my oxalate intake?

To reduce your oxalate intake, you can limit or avoid high oxalate foods and increase your consumption of calcium-rich foods, which can help bind to oxalate and reduce its absorption.