1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much power is required?

1. Sep 4, 2016 #1
    • OP warned about not having an attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much power is required to lift the object A from the base B to a height of 1 meter if the given object A weighs 1 kilogram?

2. Relevant equations
    No idea

3. The attempt at a solution
    N/A very very confused what to do about this question..

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

That's something you are supposed to avoid.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=686781
    You are asked to lift an object using an electromagnet. Is object A a permanent magnet? Please state the complete problem clearly.

4. Sep 4, 2016 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Surely you can find relevant equations. Also, are you sure that the problem statement is correct: you are asked to calculate the power?

5. Sep 4, 2016 #4
    Assume object A is magnetic material having same pole of the electromagnet's surface it's exposed to.

6. Sep 4, 2016 #5
    Yes calculate the power required if the object A is a magnetic material and it is facing the electromagnet with like poles exposed towards the magnet

7. Sep 4, 2016 #6

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Power is Joules/second. There is no mention of time in your problem.

8. Sep 4, 2016 #7

DrClaude

The problem is now clearer. It is no the power to lift, but to maintain the height against gravity.

9. Sep 4, 2016 #8

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Right! I was about to delete that but I can't..

10. Sep 4, 2016 #9
    Okay take it this way then... How many watts is it going to take for the electromagnet(if you need to know anything about the specs of magnet just ask) to complete the task?

11. Sep 4, 2016 #10

DrClaude

As I posted in your other thread, this is not the way things work here. You have to put in some effort.

I think that your problem is way underdefined. We have no idea what material the hovering object is made of, are any characteristic of the electromagnet.

12. Sep 4, 2016 #11
    Okay
    okay, the time is 1 sec and the electromagnet's specs is what I'm Trynna figure out here.... I want to know what the electromagnets power output should be..

13. Sep 4, 2016 #12
    And the material like I already mentioned: it's magnetic, and if facing the electromagnet as such the like poles of material and magnet are facing each other. I don't know how can I be more clearer atm.

14. Sep 4, 2016 #13

NascentOxygen

Maybe you mean unlike poles face each other?

Whatever the case, I don't think anyone will be able to come up with an answer for you. You want a magnet so strong that it will reach across 1 m of air to hold a 1kg weight in place, so say 10N at that distance. Magnets work best through narrow gaps of air. The big electromagnets on the end of cranes in metal scrapyards might not even manage your task.

15. Sep 4, 2016 #14

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think the idea is the electromagnet is on the bottom and repelling the object while gravity is pulling down on the object, so you want the same poles facing each other.

16. Sep 4, 2016 #15

DrClaude

There is no simple calculation for what you are asking, and it is most probably not achievable.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook