Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much pressure do boiling oil and water produce?

1. Dec 19, 2016 #1
    I'm in high school, and we have been split in several groups with each of us working on a rocket, a small rocket, that we will launch in the school yard after Christmas vacation. So while many went for a simple water pressure system, I was considering a more "dangerous" approach, such as mixing boiling oil and water to produce enough pressure for thrust.

The issue comes here, I have absolutely no idea if this would work, if mixing these two will create pressure, or only violent explosions. The idea is to mix a certain amount of boiling oil with a certain amount of water, then if the reactions cause high pressure, we release it and make the rocket fly a distance, hopefully. I feel like the right people to ask are the chemists here, maybe I am wrong? If so please move this thread to the appropriate section :-)

Thank you all

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted