How much pumping power needed?

• Thread starter tectactoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the individual has a homemade chiller using a heat pump water heater and needs to recirculate the chilled water throughout the tank. They plan on using a pump, but are unsure about the necessary power and how to calculate the head and piping losses. They also mention using copper pipe and the effects of bends and elbows on the pressure. They are looking for advice on how to account for these losses and how to size the pipe correctly.
tectactoe
I have a heat pump water heater that cycles the refrigerant in reverse, thus using the cooling portion of the evaporater to chill the water rather than to heat it (basically, a 50-gal storage homemade chiller).

The problem is, I need to circulate the water throughout the tank, or else all of the chilled water will sit near the bottom.

There's an opening/valve near the bottom of the tank (normally used for space heating I believe, not sure) and the tank inlet isn't being used - so there's my recirc path. But the path will contain some bends and twists since the valve is at the bottom pointed one way and the inlet is on the top pointed another way. Also, the pipe will probably need to reroute a little to accomidate the place where I'll screw in the pump to the outside of the tank.

So that's my question - I'm going to use a pump to recirc the water. But how powerful of a pump do I need? I know it has to overcome the head in the pipe - but how exactly do you figure that out?

I'll be using copper pipe with a given diameter and I'll be able to measure the length/height of the set up... I know bends and vertical lifts contribute to loss, but how, exactly? I don't want to get a pump that won't do the duty, but I don't want overkill either.

Thanks, guys and gals.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I wouldn't think you'd need much at all, maybe a little aquarium pump or something. Calculating the head is as easy as P=(rho)*(g)*(h), so that gives you your minimum theoretical head needed not taking into account piping losses.

Yeah, I know the pump will be a very small one... I'm actually more worried about getting a pump that's way too big, (cost issues, etc). so if I can calc pressure loss from (rho*g*h), how do piping losses factor in? Looking at the tank, I'm probably going to need about four 90 degree elbows in there. Just as well, does the copper pipe friction supply any kind of reasonable loss?

I know these elbows and such may not provide losses significant enough in my specific case, but I'm to the point now where I'm just downright curious and would like to know how to account for these other losses.

Thanks for your help

The loss depends on the velocity through the pipe, so if you have a big enough pipe, you won't need to worry about it. You can look up a pipe friction calculator online to size the pipe.

1. How do you calculate the required pumping power?

The required pumping power is calculated by multiplying the fluid flow rate (in gallons per minute) by the total head (in feet) and dividing the result by the pump efficiency.

2. What factors affect the pumping power needed?

The main factors that affect the pumping power needed include the fluid flow rate, the total head, the type of fluid being pumped, and the efficiency of the pump.

3. How does the type of fluid being pumped affect the pumping power?

The type of fluid being pumped can greatly impact the required pumping power as different fluids have different densities, viscosities, and flow characteristics. This can affect the flow rate and the total head, ultimately affecting the pumping power needed.

4. Does the pumping power change over time?

Yes, the pumping power can change over time due to factors such as changes in the fluid flow rate or head, wear and tear on the pump, or changes in the efficiency of the pump. Regular maintenance and monitoring are important to ensure the pumping power remains at the necessary level.

5. How can I reduce the pumping power needed?

There are a few ways to reduce the pumping power needed. One way is to use a more efficient pump. Another way is to optimize the system design, such as minimizing friction losses in the pipes or reducing the total head. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help to ensure the pump is operating at its peak efficiency, reducing the required pumping power.