How much sleep do you need for optimal functioning?

• Thread starter z-component
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary: I usually get about 6 hours of sleep a day. I try to limit it to 6-7 hours a night, but sometimes i get more like 10.In summary, people usually get about 4-7 hours of sleep a day, but it varies depending on how busy they are and how much sleep they usually get.

How many hours do you average per night?

• < 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between 2 and 4.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Between 4 and 6.

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • Between 6 and 8.

Votes: 35 59.3%
  • Between 8 and 10.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • > 10

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
z-component
Since I have an 8am class 3 days per week, I get about 6 hours on the previous nights. The other nights I average about 10 hours, so my sleeping schedule is really polar, and it's annoying. Next semester I'll be waking up every day at the same time. What about you all?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wake up about the same time everyday, 7:30-8:30. I usually get at least 7 hours of sleep.

Between about 6 and 8...on average. Some nights it's closer to 1 or 2, and others I get more like 12, but usually about 6 or 7 weekdays and a few extra hours on weekends. Even if I can't sleep for a solid block of 6 hours, some fragmented naps will help me remain functional.

I get about 4-7 hrs depending.

Between 4 and 6 for me, I have 8am classes and don't go to bed until 12:30 or 1 on a good day which I always come to regret in the morning.

I try to limit my sleeping to 6-7 hours a night, but catch up on weekends with a good 9 hour doze.

I was once told that the number of hours of total sleep is not as important as actually how many hours of REM sleep you get. The faster you get to REM can mean you don't need as much sleep, like 5 hours can make you feel plenty rested if you are in the REM stage most of the time. I usually sleep 6 hours and feel pretty good in the morning.

I voted 4-6, but it varies. I go to bed sometime between 11 and midnight, and the alarm is set for 7:30. Unfortunately, W insists upon waking me up every time she wants to move. If we're lying on our left sides, she'll shake me awake and say 'Roll over, honey'. This is simply so that I can then put my arm around her rather than the other way around. That goes the other way if we start on our right sides. She can't seem to sleep without physical contact. All in all, I would far prefer that she just forcibly roll me over without waking me up. :grumpy:

I need 10 hours of sleep a night and I don't get it.

5 hrs is pretty standard, but weekends up to 8! Funny... sometimes before exam you think "after this is over, I will sleep my head off, just let me hit a bed"... and then after the exam sleeps disappears somehow... does anyone have this experience...?

My sleep schedual is quite variable. Normal work days (nights) I get to bed by 7:30am and sleep as long as I can, usually some time after noon and before 2pm. Around 6hrs.

Weekends, I stay up as late as I can, 2-3am then sleep as late as I can.. 10am-noon.

I try to keep the 7am -10am as a consistent sleep block.

On regular days i get 6-8, on vacations i get solid 10s and on finals, i get solid 1-2 hours if possible.

5-6 weekdays, 13 weekends.

That comes with working until midnight several days out of the week.

sleep = 2:30am to 8 am.

weekends, 2:30am to 12pm.

what does it mean?
8am class 3 days

You young buggers are starting to piss me off.:tongue:
I used to go by anywhere from 0 to 6 hours, and (as mentioned elsewhere), my record was 142 hours awake, with a couple of 1 & 2 hour naps. Now, it really doesn't seem to matter whether or not I sleep. Either way, I'm exhausted all of the time. I assume that due to the emphysema, I can't get enough oxygen to properly enervate my body. I should really make a resolution to quit smoking when I'm 80.

enricfemi said:
what does it mean?
I have a class at 8 o'clock in the morning three days per week.

This thread inspired me to try to get 6 last night. After letting some cold air into my room I set my alarm for 6 hours and dozed off in about 10 minutes. Once I woke up to the alarm I couldn't convince myself to wake up and went back to bed and slept another 2 hours. lol

Wake up: 4:30am
Sleep: 10:00pm

Yawn: all day

In my 20s it was 10 hours a day. Now in my 50s it's 6 hours a day. At this rate, I expect to stop sleeping altogether sometime before the age of 100.

WEEK : up at 7 30 am - go to bed at midnight
WEEKEND : up at 1130 am - go to bed at 02-03 am

Actually, i need a lot of sleep and i HATE getting up early. My ideal situation would be : get up at 10 am and go to bed at 0100 am...I need 9 hours of sleep to feel completely rested...

marlon

As I voted, 6-8 is an average. I had a long period where 3-4 was my average, which pretty much made me 'tough', because in general I can function pretty good for about 20-21 hours with 3-4 hours of sleep. Of course, the key to that is a 20 minute (not longer) afternoon nap. :wink:

last night I was so tired I went to bed at 8:30. Bad Idea. my internal clock rebelled and I woke up at midnight, drifted in and house of sleep for another two hours and finally got up and last minute studied for my test. Which is at 9 this morning. ugh.

I get between 6-7 a night once you factor in unwinding usually takes an hour or so for me. Really though, it doesn't matter what time I go to bed because I'm yawning all day through classes either way (sleeping disorder maybe?)

Last edited by a moderator:
About 8.

(Neglecting all-nighters out of bed and the following all-dayers in bed :wink: )

Where is the "as much as I possibly can" choice?

On average ,only about 4 hours of a true sleep or even less.
I definitely used to sleep more in my teen days.
Probably I got to cut back on a black coffee.

1. How many hours of sleep do adults need?

On average, adults need 7-9 hours of sleep per night for optimal functioning. However, this may vary from person to person.

2. Can you make up for lost sleep?

While it is possible to make up for lost sleep, it is not recommended as it can disrupt your natural sleep schedule and lead to sleep deprivation in the long run.

3. Is it better to get a full night's sleep or take naps throughout the day?

It is generally better to get a full night's sleep as it allows for more restorative deep sleep and better quality sleep. Napping throughout the day can also make it harder to fall asleep at night.

4. How does age affect the amount of sleep needed?

As we age, our sleep needs tend to decrease. Newborns need 14-17 hours of sleep, while adults over 65 may only need 7-8 hours of sleep per night.

5. Can you function well on less sleep if you are used to it?

While some people may claim to function well on less sleep, research has shown that consistently getting less than the recommended amount of sleep can have negative effects on overall health and cognitive functioning.