1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much textbooks

1. Jul 14, 2009 #1
    how much are graduate textbooks

how much money did textbooks cost you in graduate school? Just in general im not interested in an exact amount just in the general amount I would have to pay for each of them or all together, and I know each school requires different material.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2009 #2
    Let me estimate 10 classes for an MS, each one requiring a textbook that costs $100 on average. $1K give or take? (Probably a little more than that, actually.)

4. Jul 14, 2009 #3
    10 classes for an MS? Plus you can always scam the textbooks from the library on the first day and not pay a cent.

5. Jul 14, 2009 #4
    You sir, are out of your mind. I've been in grad school for almost an entire year now (six classes) and have spent a total of about $140 I think. All brand new, all hardcover. One of the books wasn't even for a class I was taking but just in a subject I wanted to know more about.

6. Jul 14, 2009 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I've spent $120 or so on 2 classes for 2 books so far :( New, one hardcover (the expensive one).

7. Jul 14, 2009 #6
    10 classes for an MS. At least where I went.

I like to keep my books though... admittedly, I could have shopped around and bought international editions for many classes for much less.

But yeah, out of my mind or not, about $1K.

8. Jul 14, 2009 #7

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Two words: term loans.

9. Jul 14, 2009 #8

fluidistic

Gold Member

That's pretty much what the majority of students do here (Argentina). Not only physics students, I mean university students in general.
    "We" scan books borrowed from the library so that we pay approximately 5 or 6 dollars a book of say 600 or 700 pages. Of course it's illegal and you shouldn't do this! An alternative of not spending that much money would be to spend a lot of your time in the University's library.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook