How much time does it take the walker to make the round trip?

• Thread starter EaGlE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, two friends must make round trips from pier A to pier B and return. One rows a boat at a constant speed of 4.00 km/h relative to the water, while the other walks at a constant speed of 4.00 km/h. The velocity of the river is 2.80 km/h in the direction from A to B. With this information, it takes the walker 14.4 minutes to make the round trip and the rower 1470.6 seconds.
EaGlE
Two piers, [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] , are located on a river: [tex]B[/tex] is 1500 m downstream from [tex]A[/tex] . Two friends must make round trips from pier [tex]A[/tex] to pier [tex]B[/tex] and return. One rows a boat at a constant speed of 4.00 km/h relative to the water; the other walks on the shore at a constant speed of 4.00 km/h. The velocity of the river is 2.80 km/h in the direction from [tex]A[/tex] to [tex]B[/tex] .

what does "relative to the water" mean?

1.) How much time does it take the walker to make the round trip?
answer must be in mins

2.) How much time does it take the rower to make the round trip? answer must be in mins

my work:

Given:
x=1500m
v(b) = 4.00 km/h
v(w) = 4.00 km/h
v(r) = 2.80

t1 = (1500)/(4+2.80) = 220.588secs <--- downstream time
t2 = (1500)/(4-2.80) = 1250 secs <--- upstream time

t(t) = 1470.588s <--- total time

how would i solve #1 ?

im thinking that i would need the distance formula

x(t) = x(0) + v(0)t + 1/2at^2
2(1500) = 0 + 2.80t + 0 (x(0) = 0, because at t=0, x=0. and a=0 because of constant speed)

3600= 2.80t... nevermind, it doesn't look right, can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
EaGlE said:
2.) How much time does it take the rower to make the round trip? answer must be in mins

my work:

Given:
x=1500m
v(b) = 4.00 km/h
v(w) = 4.00 km/h
v(r) = 2.80

t1 = (1500)/(4+2.80) = 220.588secs <--- downstream time
t2 = (1500)/(4-2.80) = 1250 secs <--- upstream time

t(t) = 1470.588s <--- total time
Basic idea is OK, but you are mixing up units. It's easier than you think. I'll do the first part, the time from A to B:
t1 = D/V = (1.5 Km)/(6.28 Km/hour) = 0.24 hours
How many minutes is that? You take it from here.

how would i solve #1 ?
Exactly the same way, only now the speed is just 4.0 Km/hour both ways. So, t = D/V ...

"relative to the water" means that that is his speed treating the water as it were not flowing. The actual or "true" speed is the water's speed added to his boat's speed when he is going down stream with the current, and subtracted from his boat's speed when he is going upstream against the current.

thank you, works perfectly

1. How is time calculated for a round trip?

Time for a round trip is calculated by adding the time it takes for the walker to go from their starting point to their destination and then back to their starting point.

2. Does the speed of the walker affect the time of the round trip?

Yes, the speed of the walker directly affects the time of the round trip. The faster the walker's speed, the shorter the time for the round trip.

3. Is the distance of the round trip a factor in the time it takes?

Yes, the distance of the round trip is a significant factor in the time it takes. The longer the distance, the longer the time for the round trip.

4. How does the terrain or environment affect the time for the round trip?

The terrain or environment can affect the time for the round trip. For instance, walking on uneven terrain or in extreme weather conditions may slow down the walker and increase the time for the round trip.

5. Can the time for a round trip be accurately predicted?

The time for a round trip can be estimated but it may not be completely accurate as it can be affected by various factors such as the walker's speed, distance, and terrain. However, with consistent conditions, the time can be predicted with a higher level of accuracy.