1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much time goes by before the merry-go-round is turning 0.5 revolutions per second

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    Torque = 2m * 50N
    M.o.I = (400kg * 2m^2)/2
    a = 1/8 rad/s^2 = 0.019894368 revs/s^2

I don't even know which formula to use

But I tried this one

ω= ω0 + αt

0.5rev/s = 0 + 0.019894368rev/s^2 * t

t = 23.132

That's seems like a lot of time... not sure if it's right.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2
    Re: How much time goes by before the merry-go-round is turning 0.5 revolutions per se

You're nearly there. ω is the angular velocity, you have the revolutions per second. Now, if I remember correctly,

ω=2∏η
    where ω is angular velocity
    η is revolutions per second

4. Nov 22, 2011 #3
    Re: How much time goes by before the merry-go-round is turning 0.5 revolutions per se

Ooops, I mean 25.132, that was a typo. Is that the correct answer?

5. Nov 22, 2011 #4

Yes, that is the answer I get, just got there in a different way.

6. Nov 22, 2011 #5

Good then

I figured it out, my mistake was thinking that the 50N push was just one push and then release, so I was confused as to why the merry-go-round would accelerate.

But it's a constant 50 N force, which is why it's accelerating, did not realize that at first.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook