1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much time?

1. Apr 9, 2005 #1
    How much time can a normal home CPU run before it heats up badly and gets damaged?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

In normal operating conditions your more likely to outgrow the cpu than have it go bad on you. I would say you should be more worried about your hard drive going bad because of all the moving parts.

4. Apr 9, 2005 #3
    Do you mean ... without a heatsink and fan?

Pentium, I don't know, but I wouldn't suggest trying it.
    Athlon, I'd say it's life would be less than a minute, maybe much less. I once had a tab break off a cpu socket so the heatsink & fan just popped off. I just heard a loud snap & while I was sitting there wondering what caused the noise -- maybe 20 or 30 seconds -- luckily the system shut itself down before the cpu (an Athlon Thunderbird) fried. The thermal compound had already liquified, run off the top of the core & baked onto the surface around it. I was amazed when I found that the thing still worked.

5. Apr 19, 2005 #4
    An athlon processor will last aprox. 12-17 seconds without a heatsink. Pentium will last a little longer. I would say aprox. 30-50 seconds. But with everything in place these processors will run for a long time. I still have a 300mghz pentium 2 that I use as backup storage and she is running strong.

6. Apr 19, 2005 #5
    also if you have just a factory fan and you overclock your cpu you run risk of overheating it that way

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?