1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much total mechanical work does a eight lifter do in 10 repetitions

1. Jan 5, 2004 #1
    ok, tell me if i'm wrong:

the questions asks:
    How much total mechanical work does a eight lifter do in 10 repetitions of lifting (and lowering) 200 kg to a height of 1.0m?

I'm thinking, since the final total displacement is zero, the answer is 0 right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "total mechanical work" is the change in potential energy (and here, since the weight is returned to its initial position that is 0) only for a "conservative" force (i.e. no friction). Of course, gravity is conservative but, in general, the force supplied by muscles is not. I don't think it is possible to give a definite answer without knowing precisely what assumptions are made. Exactly what the total mechanical work is depends a lot on how it is moved. Many texts would not call the work the muscles have to do "mechanical" work. While I think there is a very good argument for "0 work", I recommend you discuss this with your teacher!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?