How much work is done in moving a mole of electrons around a circuit

In summary, the conversation is discussing how much work is done in moving a mole of electrons around a circuit using a voltage of 6V. The formula for calculating work, W = QV, is mentioned and the charge on an electron is also mentioned as -1.6 x 10^-19 coulombs. The final conclusion is that the work done is 5.78 x 10^5 joules. The topic is found to be confusing and the forum is identified as British.
hyperdrive
i know this is basic suff, but forget it, can u please tell me how to do this question

how much work is done in moving a mole of electrons around a circut using a 6v voltage( 1 mole of electrons is 6.023 x 10 power 23 electrons

thanks

answer is w = qv = 5.78 x 10power5j

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the charge on an electron? To find the total charge, q, multiply the charge of one electron by the number of electrons...

yes the charge of an eleectron is -1.6 x10power-19

sorry don't understand,

v =w/q

w=vq

v is potential difference in volts
w is work done by field in joules
q is charge being ppushed in coulombs

so w= 6 x q( which i thought was the mole of electrons, which is 6.023 x 10power23 right?)

If you know q is charge, as measured in coulombs, why would you think it was 6.022 x 10^23, which is the number of electrons?

If you had one electron, the work done would be, W = QV = (1.6 x 10^-19)*6..

k, got confused there, i hate this topic, i like the space one!

i see now:) so

w = 6* ( 1.6 x 10^-19 x number of electrons (6.023 x 10^23)

Yes, that's correct :smile:.

thanks, i have been lazey thesee holidays:P

seen these forums once before and when i formated my computer i lost the address, just found it again, i quess this is British forum(the mother land!)

1. How is work defined in the context of moving a mole of electrons around a circuit?

Work is defined as the amount of energy required to move a mole of electrons around a complete circuit, from the negative to the positive terminal of a battery. It is measured in joules (J) and is equal to the product of the force applied and the distance traveled by the electrons.

2. What is the significance of a mole of electrons in this context?

A mole is a unit of measurement in chemistry that represents a specific number of particles, which is approximately 6.022 x 10^23. In the context of moving electrons around a circuit, a mole of electrons is used as a standard unit to measure the amount of work done, as it represents a large and measurable quantity of electrons.

3. How does the resistance of the circuit affect the amount of work done in moving a mole of electrons?

The resistance of a circuit is a measure of its opposition to the flow of electrons. The higher the resistance, the more difficult it is to move the electrons through the circuit, resulting in a greater amount of work being done. This is because a higher resistance requires more energy to overcome and maintain a steady flow of electrons.

4. Is the amount of work done in moving a mole of electrons the same in all types of circuits?

No, the amount of work done in moving a mole of electrons can vary depending on the type of circuit. In a series circuit, where all components are connected end-to-end, the work done is equal to the sum of the work done in each individual component. In a parallel circuit, where components are connected in separate branches, the work done is equal to the work done in the branch with the highest resistance.

5. Can the amount of work done in moving a mole of electrons be converted into other units?

Yes, the amount of work done in moving a mole of electrons can be converted into other units such as electron volts (eV) or kilowatt-hours (kWh). These units are often used in the context of electronic devices and power consumption. 1 eV is equal to the amount of work done in moving an electron through a potential difference of 1 volt, while 1 kWh is equal to the amount of work done in moving a mole of electrons through a potential difference of 1 kilovolt.