1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How much work is done

1. Mar 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a 2.00 g ice flake is released from the edge of a hemispherical bowl whose radius is 22.0 cm. the Flake-bowl contact is frictionless. How much work is done on the flake by the gravitational force during the flake's descent to the bottom of the bowl?

2. Relevant equations

w=fd

3. The attempt at a solution

do i use 9.81 m/s^2 as the force?
    and how do i know the distance?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2010 #2
    Re: work

If you were sitting on the edge of a cereal bowl and you slid down to the bottom of the bowl how far vertically would you have fallen? You've been given that.

9.8 m/s^2 is the acceleration of gravity. You need a force, mass * acceleration.

Then you've got the only equation you needed.

4. Mar 22, 2010 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

What is the distance between the bottom of the hemisphere and the top of the hemisphere?

5. Mar 22, 2010 #4

Hopefully this helps, it's not too complicated so don't over think it.

Attached Files:

6. Mar 22, 2010 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I was asking you. The hemisphere is half of a sphere, so the center to any point on the surface is a radius, so what is the height of the sphere?

(By height, I mean the vertical distance the ice flake travels to the bottom of the sphere)

7. Mar 22, 2010 #6

The snowflake starts at the edge of a hemispherical bowl so the height is equal to the radius.

In your case,
    W = mgr

If there was a full sphere, the height from top to bottom would be the diameter or 2*radius.

8. Mar 22, 2010 #7

This height is equal to the radius of the hemispherical bowl that is directly given in the question. So in this case,

W = mgr

9. Mar 22, 2010 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I apologize, I did not see your post before mine. But I was not asking for my clarity, I was asking the OP.

10. Mar 23, 2010 #9

Oh, I see, your post makes a lot more sense now ; )
    No problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook