Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How much work is done

1. Mar 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a 2.00 g ice flake is released from the edge of a hemispherical bowl whose radius is 22.0 cm. the Flake-bowl contact is frictionless. How much work is done on the flake by the gravitational force during the flake's descent to the bottom of the bowl?

2. Relevant equations

w=fd

3. The attempt at a solution

do i use 9.81 m/s^2 as the force?
    and how do i know the distance?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2010 #2
    Re: work

If you were sitting on the edge of a cereal bowl and you slid down to the bottom of the bowl how far vertically would you have fallen? You've been given that.

9.8 m/s^2 is the acceleration of gravity. You need a force, mass * acceleration.

Then you've got the only equation you needed.

4. Mar 22, 2010 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

What is the distance between the bottom of the hemisphere and the top of the hemisphere?

5. Mar 22, 2010 #4

Hopefully this helps, it's not too complicated so don't over think it.

Attached Files:

6. Mar 22, 2010 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I was asking you. The hemisphere is half of a sphere, so the center to any point on the surface is a radius, so what is the height of the sphere?

(By height, I mean the vertical distance the ice flake travels to the bottom of the sphere)

7. Mar 22, 2010 #6

The snowflake starts at the edge of a hemispherical bowl so the height is equal to the radius.

In your case,
    W = mgr

If there was a full sphere, the height from top to bottom would be the diameter or 2*radius.

8. Mar 22, 2010 #7

This height is equal to the radius of the hemispherical bowl that is directly given in the question. So in this case,

W = mgr

9. Mar 22, 2010 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I apologize, I did not see your post before mine. But I was not asking for my clarity, I was asking the OP.

10. Mar 23, 2010 #9

Oh, I see, your post makes a lot more sense now ; )
    No problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook