Calculating Work Done by a Constant Force

• Thread starter milla7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, a 7.6 kg body is at rest on a frictionless horizontal air track when a constant horizontal force F with arrow acting in the positive direction of an x-axis along the track is applied. This force produces a stroboscopic graph of the position of the body at 0.50 s intervals. At 0.5 seconds, the body has moved a distance of 0.2 meters and the applied force has produced 0.152 Joules of work.
milla7

Homework Statement

Question
A 7.6 kg body is at rest on a frictionless horizontal air track when a constant horizontal force F with arrow acting in the positive direction of an x-axis along the track is applied to the body. A stroboscopic graph of the position of the body as it slides to the right is shown in the figure. The force F with arrow is applied to the body at t = 0, and the graph records the position of the body at 0.50 s intervals. How much work is done on the body by the applied force F with arrow between t = 0 and t = 0.5 s?

7-p-007.gif

Homework Equations

x=vot +1/2at^2
v=at
m/2(Vf^2-Vi^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

When I work the problem I get 0.152 Joules.
.8 = 1/2 a(2.0)^2
a=0.4
v=0.4(0.5)
v=0.2
1/2(7.6kg)(.2^2)= 0.152J.

I work it this way and I have no idea why it is wrong. The answer is supposed to be 0.0973.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
milla7 said:
.8 = 1/2 at^2
Where does .8 come from?
The problem statement is inconsistent - a constant force cannot produce this pattern. There are multiple ways to approach this problem and they will lead to different answers.

mfb said:
Where does .8 come from?
plug it into 1/2 at^2 = x along with t = 2.0 to get the acceleration. Then I use that to find the velocity at .5 seconds.

I know, but where does the number 0.8 come from? It is not the position of the object after 0.5 seconds.
Edit: wait, you used the 2 seconds. I guess that's the origin of the discrepancy.

Edit2: Do the same calculation with 0.5 seconds and you get half the other value. Weird.

mfb said:
I know, but where does the number 0.8 come from? It is not the position of the object after 0.5 seconds.
Edit: wait, you used the 2 seconds. I guess that's the origin of the discrepancy.

Edit2: Do the same calculation with 0.5 seconds and you get half the other value. Weird.
Ah... yea thanks... though something is off with that problem that doesn't make sense... got it to work now though.

1. How is work defined in science?

In science, work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. It is measured in units of joules (J).

2. What factors affect the amount of work done?

The amount of work done is affected by the magnitude of the force applied and the distance over which the force is applied. The angle between the force and the direction of motion also plays a role in determining the amount of work done.

3. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

4. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force and the direction of motion are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. This can happen when an object is being slowed down or brought to a stop by a force.

5. How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, or the conversion of one form of energy to another. The work done on an object is equal to the change in its energy. This is represented by the equation W = ΔE, where W is work, Δ is change, and E is energy.