How much work is required to empty the tank?

In summary: in summary, to empty a hemispherical tank of radius 6 meters, it requires 9.8 * 100 * \pi \int_0^6 (36- (y-6)^2)y dy, where \pi is the pi constant.
unggio
need help, VERY CHALLENGING

a hemispherical tank of radius 6 meters, is posiitoned so that its base is circular. how much work is required to empty the tank?
liquid density is 100 kg/ m^3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i use equation of a circle to calculate the radius

circle is
[tex]x^2 + (y-6)^2=6^2=36[/tex]
therefore
[tex]r=\sqrt {36 - (y-6)^2} [/tex]

[tex]volume= \pi r^2 [/tex]
F=mg
F=vol * density * gravity

[tex]9.8 * 100 * \pi \int_0^6 (36 - (y-6)^2)y dy[/tex]

ansewr i get is: 16625308 joules

Last edited:
I presume you mean "the radius of the circle formed by the surface of the water at different heights".

And, by the way, the problem is not "well formed". If you just punch a hole in the bottom, the tank will empty without any work being done. I presume that the problem says to empty the tank by pumping it out the top.

Here's how I would think about it:

Of course, the work done lifting a mass m a height h is mgh. Imagine a "layer of water" of thickness dz at height z. That layer will be a circle of radius, say, r. It will have volume [tex]\pi r^2 dz[/tex] and so weight [tex]98\pi r^2dz[/tex]. That water has to be lifted a distance 6-z to the top of the tank: the work done on that one "layer" of water is [tex]\pi (6-z)r^2 dz[/tex].

Now we need to determine r2: x2+ y2+ z2= 36. Since r is measured parallel to the xy-plane, r2= x2+ y2= 36- z2. Putting that into the formula above:
[tex]\pi (6-z)(36-z^2)dz[/tex].
We need to integrate that from z= 0 to z= 6 to cover the entire tank:
[tex]\int_0^6\pi(6-z)(36-z^2)dz= \pi\int_0^6(216- 36z-6z^2+ z^3)dz[/tex].

That is not what you have. Did you forget the height lifted?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i meant to say the work needed to pump out water from the top.

i don't think you did it correctly. i inverted my coordinates upside down so that the +y direction is towards the base of the hemisphere, also there's no need to use spherical coordinates, using 2-d is simpler. W=F*D, my D (dist) is y. i start out pumping the top layer, then i move down to the bottom layer. as i pump out each layer the water travels a distance of y from the origin. origin is the top of the tank.

i'm surprised that i only received one response, i thought everybody in the math forum was good at this stuff.

1. How is work defined in this context?

In this context, work is defined as the amount of force applied to move the contents of the tank from its original position to a lower position, against the force of gravity.

2. Is the amount of work required to empty the tank dependent on its size?

Yes, the amount of work required to empty the tank is dependent on its size. The larger the tank, the more work will be required to move the same amount of contents to a lower position.

3. Does the type of fluid in the tank affect the amount of work required to empty it?

Yes, the type of fluid in the tank can affect the amount of work required to empty it. Fluids with higher densities and viscosities will require more work to move compared to fluids with lower densities and viscosities.

4. How does the height of the tank affect the amount of work required to empty it?

The height of the tank does not directly affect the amount of work required to empty it. However, the higher the tank, the more potential energy the contents have, which will require more work to overcome and move to a lower position.

5. Is there a formula to calculate the amount of work required to empty the tank?

Yes, the formula to calculate the amount of work required to empty the tank is: Work = Force x Distance. The force is equal to the weight of the contents of the tank, and the distance is the height the contents need to be moved to reach the lower position.