1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much work?

1. Jan 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

zjgw49.jpg

2. Relevant equations

no

3. The attempt at a solution

no

Since the problem asks how much work was done by OR on the gas, I did not understand why the book's answer is 162 J instead ±81 J that I've found. (sorry my bad english)

Sorry, the correct question on the problem is how much work was done from b to c instead from a to b as it's in the image.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2016 #2
    Show us how you got your answer, then we can point out what you did wrong. Also, be careful with your units. I don't know all the unit conversions but to use Joules the units for P and V are pascals and meters cubed, not atmospheres and liters.

4. Jan 8, 2016 #3
    Okay.

dW = dV p

In this case we have the initial and final values of V and p. So, W = (Vc - Vb) x 10-3m³ x (Pc - Pb) x 1.013 x 105Pa, wich gives W = 81.04 J.

5. Jan 8, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have calculated ##\Delta V\Delta p##. That is not the same as ##\int p.dV##.

6. Jan 8, 2016 #5
    and how can I solve the integral for T?

7. Jan 8, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In the graph, p is the y ordinate and V the x ordinate. So the integral is equivalent to ##\int y.dx##. what's a geometric interpretation of that integral?

8. Jan 8, 2016 #7
    oh yes, I see that and I solve the problem by this way. But I wonder if there's anyway to solve this integral for T using only calculations without the graph. Is there a way?

9. Jan 8, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but you first have to turn the graph into an equation relating p to V. Then plug that function into ##\int p.dV##.

Edit: When you say you solved the problem that way, are you referring to your solution in post #3? That solution was wrong.

10. Jan 8, 2016 #9
    Ok. Thank you.

11. Jan 8, 2016 #10

Mister T

Science Advisor

They do not want an answer with a ± sign in front of it. They want a positive number and they want you to determine whether it's "on" or "by".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted