Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much younger will I be?

1. May 15, 2016 #1
    Hello all, hope you are well. A quick question. I'm employed as an airline pilot. If I fly for 20000 hours over my career at an average speed of 400 knots (roughly 200 m/s), how much younger would I be than my ground based colleagues upon retirement ? Kind regards, Ben

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2016 #2
    Hi Ben:

I calculate that you will be 64 microseconds (64 × 10-6 seconds) younger.

Regards,
    Buzz

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  4. May 15, 2016 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

As I recall, it depends on the direction you travel because traveling with the Earth's rotation is different than traveling against it. If you assume all trips are mirror images then you have to do 2 computations and add the results.

It is in any case, as Buzz has computed, an utterly trivial amount (even if he is off by a bit because of what I said)

5. May 16, 2016 #4
    Gravity and velocity both play a role, don't they? And fight each other in this case, iirc.
    Yeah: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
    I'm not sure which would win out at the crusing speed and altitude of commercial aircraft, but like above it is pretty trivial.

6. May 16, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

They do, and that's a good point, although as you also note, that doesn't change the conclusion that in any case it is a trivial amount. What you've pointed out, in fact, makes it even more trivial.

7. May 16, 2016 #6
    Thanks everyone for your responses - thought it would be a trivial amount (didn't realise how trivial......) - warm regards, Ben

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted