• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How multi driver speaker work

• Thread starter brown_matt
  • Start date

Homework Statement

For my physics coursework I am researching how multi driver speaker systems try to reproduce the full spectrum of sound, do you know any equations that will help me to describe frequency, and how ultra high and low frequencies can be reached?
Regards,
Matt

Homework Equations

Need to know

The Attempt at a Solution

Unable to do without relevant equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

turbo
Gold Member

Do you know anything at all about cross-overs? If not, you should Google that and see what they do in speaker systems.

Yes, i've read how they seperate the input into different frequency bands. Are there equations that calculate the maximum frequency of a speaker, or am i being too specific?

turbo
Gold Member

Yes, i've read how they seperate the input into different frequency bands. Are there equations that calculate the maximum frequency of a speaker, or am i being too specific?
Actually, not specific enough. Crossovers are engineered to optimize the performance of particular arrays of drivers. Bose has done a lot with full-range drivers, but most speaker-designers want to use a range of speakers, and they have to engineer a crossover network that will give the most accurate response with the selected speaker array. Obviously, you don't want to send very low frequencies (long throw) to tiny dome tweeters, and vise versa. A big heavy subwoofer can't reproduce highs accurately.

Oh right, so full range drivers won't necessarily produce as good a sound as a crossover with subwoofer and tweeters?
Wavespeed = frequency x wavelength
as the waves will be travelling at 330? high note = short wavelength
Where can i go from here to raise the level of physics?

turbo
Gold Member

Oh right, so full range drivers won't necessarily produce as good a sound as a crossover with subwoofer and tweeters?
Wavespeed = frequency x wavelength
as the waves will be travelling at 330? high note = short wavelength
Where can i go from here to raise the level of physics?
You're going to have to delve into loudspeaker design, which is a very complex subject, then you're going to have to settle on a basic design and see what you can come up with. There are algorithms that can help you.

Here is a web-site describing the design of a speaker system with a passive crossover.

http://sound.westhost.com/lr-passive.htm

Google on "speaker crossover design" and you'll have more information than you can absorb.

Last edited by a moderator:

that looks perfect
thank you for your help, hopefully this won't cause too much confusion

Last edited: