1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How multi driver speaker work

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For my physics coursework I am researching how multi driver speaker systems try to reproduce the full spectrum of sound, do you know any equations that will help me to describe frequency, and how ultra high and low frequencies can be reached?
    Regards,
    Matt

2. Relevant equations
    Need to know

3. The attempt at a solution
    Unable to do without relevant equations
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Re: Loudspeakers

Do you know anything at all about cross-overs? If not, you should Google that and see what they do in speaker systems.

4. Mar 17, 2010 #3

Yes, i've read how they seperate the input into different frequency bands. Are there equations that calculate the maximum frequency of a speaker, or am i being too specific?

5. Mar 17, 2010 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Actually, not specific enough. Crossovers are engineered to optimize the performance of particular arrays of drivers. Bose has done a lot with full-range drivers, but most speaker-designers want to use a range of speakers, and they have to engineer a crossover network that will give the most accurate response with the selected speaker array. Obviously, you don't want to send very low frequencies (long throw) to tiny dome tweeters, and vise versa. A big heavy subwoofer can't reproduce highs accurately.

6. Mar 17, 2010 #5

Oh right, so full range drivers won't necessarily produce as good a sound as a crossover with subwoofer and tweeters?
    Wavespeed = frequency x wavelength
    as the waves will be travelling at 330? high note = short wavelength
    Where can i go from here to raise the level of physics?

7. Mar 17, 2010 #6

turbo

Gold Member

You're going to have to delve into loudspeaker design, which is a very complex subject, then you're going to have to settle on a basic design and see what you can come up with. There are algorithms that can help you.

Here is a web-site describing the design of a speaker system with a passive crossover.

http://sound.westhost.com/lr-passive.htm

Google on "speaker crossover design" and you'll have more information than you can absorb.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Mar 17, 2010 #7

that looks perfect
    thank you for your help, hopefully this won't cause too much confusion

9. Apr 6, 2010 #8
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook