Is Elin Woods Renegotiating Her Prenup with Tiger for a Sweet Payoff?

In summary: Seems really sketchy to me. In summary, it sounds like Elin Woods is renegotiating her prenup to get an immediate $5 million payout from her husband and as much as $55 million more to stay with him for two more years. Sounds like extortion to me.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Elin and Tiger Woods had a prenuptial agreement, as expected. The couple is undergoing marital counseling, as you'd also expect. And now The Daily Beast is reporting that Elin Woods is renegotiating that prenup to get an immediate $5 million payout from her husband and as much as $55 million more to stay with him for two more years.

The initial prenup was worth $20 million after 10 years of marriage. However, the Chicago Sun-Times' Bill Zwecker has reported that Elin Woods will receive an immediate payment "into an account she alone controls," and that the 10-year timeframe -- which began when they married in 2004 -- has been shortened and the value increased "substantially."

The Daily Beast quotes "a lawyer familiar with the couple's negotiations" in reporting that the term of the prenup has been shortened to seven years, and that a series of staggered payments could increase the total value to $75 million.

But apparently there's also a behavioral component to all this: Elin Woods must "be a dutiful wife in showing up with him at social events and in public as if they were still the perfect couple, and sign a nondisclosure form that will prevent her from ever telling her story."

. . . .
http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/d...ods-newly-rewritten-prenup-em?urn=golf,206529

Rent-a-wife?

:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
GeorginaS said:
I didn't know people negotiated pre-nups to pay out during the course of their marriage, but rather only in the event of a split.

Me neither.

I just can't help but think that if after only 5 years of marriage you already want your pre-nup increased and still feel you need it, maybe it would be best to just get the divorce sooner than later.

I was wondering how long it would take for this to come up on the forum. I've read that the affairs have been going on for 31 months. That would put it around May 2007 which is one year after his father died. Seems kind of an odd coincidence.

On another note, I heard that Tiger is changing his name. He's now going to be called Cheetah.

Wow, what ever happened to "love"
Elin and Tiger Woods had a prenuptial agreement, as expected. The couple is undergoing marital counseling, as you'd also expect. And now The Daily Beast is reporting that Elin Woods is renegotiating that prenup to get an immediate $5 million payout from her husband and as much as $55 million more to stay with him for two more years.
Isn't that called "extortion"?

Does anyone else see something wrong with asking to be paid any amount to stay married for 2 more years?

RUN TIGER, RUN!

Evo said:
Does anyone else see something wrong with asking to be paid any amount to stay married for 2 more years?

$55M for two years of "wifely duties"? As a purely practical matter, wouldn't it be cheaper to..um...find someone willing to do this a la carte?

Borg said:
On another note, I heard that Tiger is changing his name. He's now going to be called Cheetah.

Oh Snayap!

Borg said:

DaveC426913 said:
Oh Snayap!

Actually, I think it's a super-duper groaner, particularly because a few days ago something awfully similar to that was headline on a local newspaper. I'm not kidding. Headline. Front page. Edmonton Sun. (Although the word "Sun" speaks volumes.)

"Tiggah is a cheetah"

Terrible.

What about Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes - I have read they too have some "rent-a-wife" kind of agreement, with prices set for each next kid and so on.

Vanadium 50 said:
$55M for two years of "wifely duties"? As a purely practical matter, wouldn't it be cheaper to..um...find someone willing to do this a la carte?

After McCartney divorced with Heather Mills someone calculated that he would save a lot paying $4k per hour for highest quality service instead of getting married.

Tiger cheated, and like some males, after having sex with the other girl he believes he's in love.

Sorry, but I can not see any true value existing in a relationship that is still currently short lived and had to be hidden behind the scenes the entire time. No opportunity to explore each other outside of a hotel. Come on, Tiger! You really that easy?

Six mistresses so far supposedly!

EDIT: Correction, now EIGHT mistresses supposedly thus far.

Last edited:
Nebula815 said:
Six mistresses so far supposedly!

EDIT: Correction, now EIGHT mistresses supposedly thus far.

Well, when the wife is charging millions of dollars per year to perform "wifely duties," I suppose less expensive sources become much more desirable.

I'm skeptical that she really didn't know anything about it. A pre-nup agreement that pays the wife to stay married sounds more like a payment to look the other way and play a role in official settings rather than the arrangement a trusting wife who thinks her husband is completely faithful would ask for as a "just in case but don't really think I'll ever need it" pre-nup.

Moonbear said:
Well, when the wife is charging millions of dollars per year to perform "wifely duties," I suppose less expensive sources become much more desirable.

I'm skeptical that she really didn't know anything about it. A pre-nup agreement that pays the wife to stay married sounds more like a payment to look the other way and play a role in official settings rather than the arrangement a trusting wife who thinks her husband is completely faithful would ask for as a "just in case but don't really think I'll ever need it" pre-nup.

Did this occur before or after the cheating was discovered? I mean she went and attacked him physically, she had to have been pretty teed off about the cheating upon finding out about it.

Nebula815 said:
Did this occur before or after the cheating was discovered? I mean she went and attacked him physically, she had to have been pretty teed off about the cheating upon finding out about it.

"teed off" ...was that an intentional pun? :biggrin:

I have no idea the order of events, nor whether it is established she attacked him physically or if that's just rumor.

Reportedly, the bimbo-count is now in double digits. If there are "moral terpitude" clauses in Tiger's endorsement contracts, he'd better win a lot more tournaments and learn to live off the winnings, because endorsements won't be all that profitable.

Nike - "Just Do It" seems appropriate in this case.

turbo-1 said:
Reportedly, the bimbo-count is now in double digits.

Can I ask why the women get called bimbos?

Though, while the details of that prenup leave an impression that makes it quite believable he might have a mistress or two (not everyone is cut out for marriage or monogamy), I'm not sure I'd believe all the gossip that the numbers are as high as double digits. Unless they aren't so much mistresses as flings. Afterall, does he really have that much free time between practicing and tournaments and such?

I'm not so fond of morality clauses in endorsement contracts. I know they exist, and people agree to them, but I don't see what his misadventures with women has to do with his ability to play golf, which supposedly is the reason for these endorsements.

Moonbear said:
Can I ask why the women get called bimbos?
For the same reason that I would call cheating males creeps. It's not as if any of those women were under any illusions regarding his identity or his marital status.

turbo-1 said:
For the same reason that I would call cheating males creeps. It's not as if any of those women were under any illusions regarding his identity or his marital status.

It doesn't mean they are stupid either. Bimbo is a very perjorative term for women.

Moonbear said:
It doesn't mean they are stupid either. Bimbo is a very perjorative term for women.
OK, I see your point. I could have used a more pejorative term, but settled on that one after milliseconds of thoughtful consideration. :tongue:

Is bimbo more perjorative than club pro? Tiger was an animal [pun intended] before he married Elin, IMO. Marriage with a prenup is merely a limited liabilty partnership.

Last edited:

1. What are some common red flags in a relationship?

Some common red flags in a relationship include lack of communication, disrespect, controlling behavior, lack of trust, and lack of effort or investment from one or both partners.

2. How can I improve my communication in a relationship?

To improve communication in a relationship, it is important to actively listen to your partner, express your feelings and needs clearly, and avoid blame or criticism. It can also be helpful to set aside dedicated time for open and honest communication.

3. What should I do if I realize I am in a toxic relationship?

If you realize you are in a toxic relationship, it is important to prioritize your own well-being and safety. Seek support from trusted friends or family members and consider seeking professional help. It may also be necessary to end the relationship for your own health and happiness.

4. How can I prevent codependency in a relationship?

To prevent codependency in a relationship, it is important to establish and maintain boundaries, prioritize your own needs and wants, and engage in activities and relationships outside of the partnership. It can also be helpful to communicate openly and honestly about your feelings and concerns.

5. What are some signs of a healthy relationship?

Signs of a healthy relationship include mutual respect and support, effective communication, trust and honesty, shared values and goals, and a willingness to work through conflicts and challenges together. Both partners should also feel safe, happy, and fulfilled in the relationship.