How often do you lie?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date

How often do you lie?

• I am a woman, I never lie.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I am a woman, I lie about once a day.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I am a woman, I lie about twice a day.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a woman, I lie about thrice a day.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I am a woman, I lie at least four times a day.

• I am a man, I never lie.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • I am a man, I lie about once a day.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I am a man, I lie about twice a day.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I am a man, I lie about thrice a day.

• I am a man, I lie at least four times a day.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • This poll is stupid.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
Borek
Mentor

Answers and Replies

I never lie. I do, however, always tell the truth.

Lies, like everything else, can also be a good thing, it all depends on the motivation and purpose, if by a lie you mean something that causes damage or has any negative effect - I never lie.

I sometimes bend the truth for constructive purposes, and when I am sure it will not do any harm, to protect people and stuff like that...

It's just like with guns - they don't kill people, people do. A gun can also save a life, and there is a huge difference in shooting an innocent person to get his wallet and shooting a mass murderer who is out for the kill.

Plus, do you really expect lairs to tell the truth about how often they lie ;)

turbo
Gold Member
I voted for the last choice. If someone habitually lies, the poll results are meaningless.

Lisa!
Gold Member
I'm a woman and I just lie in the internet!o:)

I voted for the last choice. If someone habitually lies, the poll results are meaningless.
The "I'm a man/woman and I never lie" option is for the 1s who lies habitually, I guess!:biggrin:

I am a man, I never lie.

I always lie!

I lie down and take a nap four times a day.

What's the difference between about once a day, about twice a day, about thrice a day? A prefix of "about" makes it an approximation. And one, two, three are 'about' the same. So I vote for the last one.

Borek
Mentor
Well, I thought about putting it as "I lie once a day", but then anyone lying 1.1 times a day will be not able to vote.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I never lie, except for that one.

Oops, now it's twice.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
women think I lie, and other men say I can't be speaking the truth...

but I do lie in wait

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This is a stupid poll. It let me give an answer that couldn't possibly be true (whether the woman part or the never lie part). Only one person gave an honest answer, anyway.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I voted that it's a stupid poll. That's a HUGE leap from never lies to lies once a day.

Scarface said:
"Whattaya lookin' at? You're all a bunch of ****ing *****les. You know why? 'Cause you don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your ****ing fingers, and say "that's the bad guy." So, what dat make you? Good? You're not good; you just know how to hide. Howda lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth--even when I lie. So say goodnight to the bad guy. Come on; the last time you gonna see a bad guy like this, let me tell ya. Come on, make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through; you better get outta his way!" (Scarface - Tony Montana)
:biggrin:

I voted stupid poll, but fun.

I lie a lot. Including on internet polls.

Okay, seriously, though. Does anyone have any clue how often they lie such they could reasonably answer something like this truly? To average it out and everything?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Lies, like everything else, can also be a good thing, it all depends on the motivation and purpose, if by a lie you mean something that causes damage or has any negative effect
The way I heard it expressed is thus:

There are times when it is acceptable to lie, when it is not a bad thing. The time when it is all right to lie to someone is if the person being lied to would thank you afterward.

For example: it is acceptable to lie to keep a secret about a surprise birthday party. The birthday subject might plausibly thank you for not ruining the surprise.

Lies are only as good or bad as the subject of the deception. Lie about infidelity, and it is a bad lie, but then it is a terrible thing to do to someone. The lie is not the issue, as much as the reason to deceive.

i think i lie to myself, mostly

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The way I heard it expressed is thus:

There are times when it is acceptable to lie, when it is not a bad thing. The time when it is all right to lie to someone is if the person being lied to would thank you afterward.

For example: it is acceptable to lie to keep a secret about a surprise birthday party. The birthday subject might plausibly thank you for not ruining the surprise.
I can understand that, I guess. But still, when I find myself in a situation where I will be "forced" to lie like that, it makes me very uncomfortable, almost a panicky feeling.

I think it's because I'm a stupendously bad liar.

i think i lie to myself, mostly
Truly, that is the one person you should never lie to.

cronxeh
Gold Member
Yeah I lie at least 2-3 times a day, and mostly because I don't want to offend other people's feelings. No I am very interested in what you have to say, and no I don't think you are boring the living daylights out of me, and of course your mother is a very wise woman :uhh: