Age Demographics of C++ Developers and Ageism in the Tech Industry

• C/C++
  • Thread starter pyzicslolito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++
In summary, the conversation discusses concerns about age differences in the workplace and being a team player. It highlights the potential challenges of having a younger boss and the importance of being able to work well with others, regardless of age. The conversation also emphasizes the need for a positive attitude and willingness to support and help others succeed in achieving company goals.
pyzicslolito
On average how old are they in your area ? Is there any of 45 and still being a coder ?
I'm thinking about applying for a job as one at my current age (38). I m afraid the company hiring mw may have a young man of 24 be my team leader. In theory it is fine but truth is noooo not ok at all

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
pyzicslolito said:
. In theory it is fine but truth is noooo not ok at all

Then you're not a team player with "great interpersonal skills" that they are looking for. Say I'm interviewing you and ask you that question, "you alright with someone younger than you being your boss?" What ya' gonna' say? "Oh, nooooo way. I ain't listen' to some young dude." Or, "I can assure you that I'll work to be a team player and contribute in a positive way to the team I'm working with and will work hard to not only support the actions of my boss, regardless of how old he or she is, but also work to help them succeed in their efforts to be successful achieving the goals of the company."

And then of course do it and try your best to get along with your young boss and help him shine and show not a trace of resentment or jealously.

Member was banned, someone forgot to delete the thread.

1. How long has C++ been around?

C++ was first developed in 1983 by Bjarne Stroustrup at Bell Labs, making it over 35 years old.

2. What is the average age of a C++ developer?

The average age of a C++ developer can vary, but it is estimated to be between 35 and 40 years old.

3. Is C++ still a popular language among developers?

Yes, C++ is still widely used and considered one of the most popular programming languages today, especially for system and application development.

4. Are there any notable C++ developers or companies?

Many notable developers and companies use C++, including Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Oracle, and Adobe. Some well-known individuals who have contributed to the development of C++ include Bjarne Stroustrup, Herb Sutter, and Scott Meyers.

5. Will C++ be around for much longer?

As long as there is a need for high-performance, low-level programming, C++ will likely remain a relevant language. Some experts even predict that it will continue to be used for many years to come, especially in fields like gaming and embedded systems.