Age Poll: Students Share How Old They Are

• Thread starter mathboy
  • Start date
In summary, this poll should be for those who are still studying, not those who have already finished earned the masters, PhD, etc... but if you do have a PhD at an unusually young age, feel free to show off.

How old are you (if you are still studying)?

• 5-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-15

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • 16-20

Votes: 41 38.7%
  • 21-25

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • 26-30

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • 31-35

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 36-40

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 41+

Votes: 11 10.4%

• Total voters
mathboy
I suppose this poll should be for the people who are still studying, not those who have already finished earned the masters, PhD, etc... But if you do have a PhD at an unusually young age, feel free to show off.

You don't have to announce your age, of course. But I'll start anyway. I'm 17, in my first year of university.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am 20, in my third year of four.

I'm 23, and in my first year of graduate school (astrophysics).

22, still have 3 semesters left of Computer Science.
But did co-ops wee!

I am 18. Will begin university life in about a month. Studying the New Generation Bachelor of Science at Melbourne University (hopefully we haven't had offers yet) to eventually become either a physics major or an engineer :)

I'm 20, starting my first year this month, the university is offering a one year exemption test for the direct honours programme! But I still lag by a year cos we have to do conscription here at my place.

45 and finishing up my master's in nuclear engineering.

I'm 21 and in my third year of undergrad as a physics major.

51, high-school drop-out.

Yeah, I know that I wasn't supposed to vote, but what the hell...

14 - Online Stanford study and work in ASU Ibeam lab.

can't vote-----the polling options don't go high enough (even with the '+' sign)

32, undergrad.

Just a slight step ahead of "Danger"
Finished high school "only because i was a swell guy", grades sucked
At 65 its not too late to open my mind to things i have taken for granted for too long.

I could be a poster boy for all the reasons to, "not leave home without a degree".

Thanks to this website, i might find a way in the door.

Lemme see now, I can remember WWII ration tickets and turning in bacon fat to get more ration tickets so we could have bacon for breakfast. Hmm. Guess I can't vote either. Oh well.

i voted for option number num 2 .

Too old already and hoping I'm immortal. If there's one thing people say of me its that I have an abundance of hope. :smile:

Kurdt said:
Too old already and hoping I'm immortal. :smile:
Me too - so far it's working!

24, 4th year university for my bachelor's of science and 2nd year college business (doing both)

18 first year in university for physics and math.

My age: Younger than Integral! :rofl::rofl: :rofl:

Finished the BS long ago.

Last edited:
42, just finished my Associate's in mechatronics last December (90o out of phase). Looking to go no to a Bach., maybe Master's.

mathboy said:
I suppose this poll should be for the people who are still studying, not those who have already finished earned the masters, PhD, etc... But if you do have a PhD at an unusually young age, feel free to show off.

You don't have to announce your age, of course. But I'll start anyway. I'm 17, in my first year of university.

Oops, my bad. I only skimmed your post and saw "still studying" -- I'm always studying and learning new things, even after many years of working as an EE. So subtract one 41+ from the poll please.:rolleyes:

28, masters degrees starts in 3weeks, lasts for 20. Gets to be a civil engineer in physics, or nuclear physix.

Cyrus said:
32, undergrad.

I thought you had your birthday as 1985 in your bio which you now have deleted.

25 unfinished business ...I mean master, sounds like a mission :tongue:

I'm 20, but I voted 21 because I won't start school until fall.

20...in my third year with 2 left to go. I'm in medical laboratory sciences...very little to do with physics but i stay here anyway :P

berkeman said:
Oops, my bad. I only skimmed your post and saw "still studying" -- I'm always studying and learning new things, even after many years of working as an EE. So subtract one 41+ from the poll please.:rolleyes:

Yep, they say the eyesight is the first to go. :biggrin:

I like MIH's approach, though, when you get up to twenty-twenty, what do you do?

Ivan Seeking said:
My age: Younger than Integral! :rofl::rofl: :rofl:

Finished the BS long ago.

Sheesh! That is puts you into a pretty big group! :cry:

I am 55, and in my spare time I audit lectures and courses from all over with links courtesy of Serkan Cabi.

http://web.mit.edu/people/cabi/Links/physics_seminar_videos.htm

For the past two years I have been collaborating with other independent researchers (one in Finland, one in NY state) mining publicly-available astronomical images, luminosity data, spectra, etc to put together a specialized new catalog of interacting galaxies. One of the referees has asked for a few modest modifications in our paper, and we are nearly ready to re-submit for publication. If the paper is accepted this time around, I will link to a preprint to show that it's never too late to take on some new projects, and keep learning in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger said:
51, high-school drop-out.

Yeah, I know that I wasn't supposed to vote, but what the hell...

whoops, i voted too. i didn't read the directions. i haven't been in school for a quarter century. less than a year older than Danger.

i am 28

I voted{41+} because I feel they learning is a life long process, plus you got keep one step ahead of these young whippersnappers.

41+

Finally finish my bachelor's this June.

This is the closest I've gotten to actually getting a degree and only the second time I've been within a year of graduating.

There's a lot of 'wastage' if you're going to school while in the military. You wind up taking lots of breaks because of remote assignments, deployments, TDYs, etc. You also wind up having to attend several different schools. Every school has their mandatory pet courses that no other school in the world will accept for anything other than an elective and will often toss out courses that you would think would apply. That's okay, odds are the next school will accept them - but of course, they'll toss out a quarter of the classes you're taking at this school. Generally speaking, colleges are out to scam as much money from students as they possibly can and seem to get offended if you've sent a significant portion of your tuition money to a competing school.

Then, of course, there's getting close to a degree based on what credits you've accumulated and will be accepted by the next school only to realize the exercise is pointless - you're drifting into a degree instead of picking a degree. So I practically started over from scratch after I finally retired from the military (okay, I actually started over as a sophomore). Things go a lot smoother if you can stick with one school straight through - they treat you a lot nicer if you're giving them a lot of money.

Hm. That's bad :/ I'm starting of myself in a computer degree. but I'm taking it at one school.. maybe that's a good idea then. I've taken a math course this spring, I was a bit late but he seemed eager enough that I'm just willing to give them money :)